The web's largest cheats, codes, and game help site  
CHEATS | NEWS | FORUMS | REVIEWS | VIDEOS | SEARCH 

Go Back   GameWinners.com Forums > Consoles & Technology > Past Generations > Past Generations > PlayStation 2

Post New Thread Reply    

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 15th, 2012, 04:33 PM   #1: [Thread] [Post]
Crazy Jamie
First recipient of the Amaloo Award

GameWinners Year End Award Winner EPIC POST! Steam Player Resident Weasel Amaloo Prize 

Super Moderator
Premium Member

M-M-M-Monster Kill!
Your early PS2 memories

What are your earliest memories of the PS2, either in terms of games that you played or parts within those games?

Personally I bought a PS2 at launch, and my earliest memories are of Tekken Tag Tournament, Dynasty Warriors 2, and Timesplitters. I loved all three, but Timesplitters was the one that really stood out. I remember spending ages playing split screen, and then taking turns with mates on the challenges (punching the heads off zombies being the most memorable).

"Mind if I use your phone? If word gets out that I'm missing five hundred girls will kill themselves."

Old August 15th, 2012, 04:44 PM   #2: [Thread] [Post]
Nimbus
[INSERT TITLE HERE]

Resident Weasel Steam Player Journeyer Sweetroller Friend O' Klowny 

Veteran Member
Premium Member
News Editor

Horadric Cube
Before I had my own PS2, a friend brought his over. He had told me, "You loved Metal Gear Solid?! Wait until you play the sequel!"

I was hesitant, because MGS was/is my favorite video game. I didn't even care about gaming enough at the time to know that there was more than one game. I played the game, however, and one thing led to another. Before I knew it, I had a PS2 within a week of when that friend came over.

I was still shockingly young when the PS2 came out, so I don't have a ton of "early" memories. I certainly do remember MGS2 and Ratchet & Clank though

Old August 15th, 2012, 04:48 PM   #3: [Thread] [Post]
Crazy Jamie

GameWinners Year End Award Winner EPIC POST! Steam Player Resident Weasel Amaloo Prize 

Super Moderator
Premium Member

M-M-M-Monster Kill!
Actually, my first 'utterly blown away' PS2 memory was playing Zone of Enders, which was stunning in its own right, but then playing the MGS2 demo. It was one of those moments for me that completely re defines your perception of what games are capable of.

"Mind if I use your phone? If word gets out that I'm missing five hundred girls will kill themselves."

Old August 15th, 2012, 04:51 PM   #4: [Thread] [Post]
Nimbus
[INSERT TITLE HERE]

Resident Weasel Steam Player Journeyer Sweetroller Friend O' Klowny 

Veteran Member
Premium Member
News Editor

Horadric Cube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Jamie View Post
Actually, my first 'utterly blown away' PS2 memory was playing Zone of Enders, which was stunning in its own right, but then playing the MGS2 demo. It was one of those moments for me that completely re defines your perception of what games are capable of.
I know what you mean. I had been playing Tony Hawk's Pro Skater (PS1) and Sonic (Genesis) when my friend brought his PS2 over. So, the graphics improvement was mind-boggling.

Old August 15th, 2012, 06:47 PM   #5: [Thread] [Post]
Northern Lights
Perfection '11

WINdependent College Football Pick 'Em Christmas in July! Wasteland Survivor The Lone Wanderer 

Premium Member
News Editor

M-M-M-Monster Kill!
This is football 2002. Two footed tackles and diving. What more can you ask for?

That and Gran Turismo 3. I poured hours into that game. I have never really enjoyed a driving game since. It was incredible and visually stunning.

"There's no easy way to tell you this, so I just brought some pictures. Your husband's the blackened, crispy one."

Moderating: The E-fed Epicenter | Call of Duty | Fallout | Smart Phones | Competitive & Co-Operative Gaming | Final Fantasy | Food & Health

RIP Paul Wickens AKA Don Paulo
RIP Michael Burton AKA Mike!
RIP Shaun Pleima AKA Beha

The TD Acknowledgement Club

Old August 15th, 2012, 07:29 PM   #6: [Thread] [Post]
Tubby23
Break the Walls Down

Post Potentate Steam Player GameWinners Year End Award Winner Forums Traveler Friend O' Klowny 

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Hero of Kvatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
This is football 2002. Two footed tackles and diving. What more can you ask for?

That and Gran Turismo 3. I poured hours into that game. I have never really enjoyed a driving game since. It was incredible and visually stunning.
This is Football was so good for those reasons. My memory is getting my Ps2 and we got it with two games: Eye Toy Play and Tony Hawk Underground. I didn't play with the Eye Toy a lot but I still have THUG and play it to this day.

RIP Beha

Old August 16th, 2012, 02:57 PM   #7: [Thread] [Post]
Crazy Jamie

Super Moderator
Premium Member

M-M-M-Monster Kill!
Quote:
Adidas Power Soccer 97 allowed you to dive, do lunge tackles, and do the Cantona Kung Fu Kick. Yes.

Old August 16th, 2012, 03:00 PM   #8: [Thread] [Post]
Northern Lights
Perfection '11

WINdependent College Football Pick 'Em Christmas in July! Wasteland Survivor The Lone Wanderer 

Premium Member
News Editor

M-M-M-Monster Kill!

Really? As in... really? You could Cantona somebody?

"There's no easy way to tell you this, so I just brought some pictures. Your husband's the blackened, crispy one."

Moderating: The E-fed Epicenter | Call of Duty | Fallout | Smart Phones | Competitive & Co-Operative Gaming | Final Fantasy | Food & Health

Old August 18th, 2012, 05:36 AM   #9: [Thread] [Post]
Crazy Jamie

Super Moderator
Premium Member

M-M-M-Monster Kill!
Quote:

Really? As in... really? You could Cantona somebody?
You could. If you did it in a traditional game you would always get sent off, but there was an option to turn off fouls. At which point things got nasty.

Old August 18th, 2012, 06:56 AM   #10: [Thread] [Post]
Northern Lights
Perfection '11

Premium Member
News Editor

M-M-M-Monster Kill!
Yeah. TIF was the same. Two footed tackle on the keeper and then knock the ball into an empty net.

Old August 18th, 2012, 08:39 AM   #11: [Thread] [Post]
Grave_Digger
The Hottest Thing Since Sliced Bread

Band of the Red Hand Journeyer 

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Horadric Cube
I never get systems at launch and I think it took a year or two for me to finally get a PS2. I don't actually remember what were my first games, MGS2 was probably one of them, I just don't know for sure. The earliest I can remember is getting Final Fantasy X for the PS2. Pretty sure (but not positive) I got my dad to take me to EB games sometime within my first week of getting the PS2 and I snagged a copy of it as well as the strategy guide (which was somehow lost over the years). I still remember being blown away not only by the graphics but that I was actually playing a Final Fantasy game where the characters were speaking. It just blew me away. It's a shame that that was the last Final Fantasy to have done that to me.

Old August 19th, 2012, 06:56 AM   #12: [Thread] [Post]
Lacarus
White and nerdy

Decade Award 

Veteran Member

I bought no too late after release and Tekken Tag Tournament with it. Oddly I didn't buy a memory card, so after spending the whole day and night getting all the characters, I bought a memory card the next day and did it all over again. And then there was a demo disc with the console and it had Dynasty Warriors 2. I can't tell how many times I played those two minutes over and over again with Dian Wei and I still play those games.

you're beautiful

Old August 19th, 2012, 08:58 AM   #13: [Thread] [Post]
Crazy Jamie

Super Moderator
Premium Member

M-M-M-Monster Kill!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacarus View Post
I bought no too late after release and Tekken Tag Tournament with it. Oddly I didn't buy a memory card, so after spending the whole day and night getting all the characters, I bought a memory card the next day and did it all over again.
I did that with Tekken 2 when I got my PS1.

Old August 21st, 2012, 09:10 AM   #14: [Thread] [Post]
Klowny
flOwer
Christmas in July! Journeyer GameWinners Year End Award Winner EPIC POST! Wonder Week! 

Super Moderator
Veteran Member
Premium Member

[Epic Reputation]
I remember noticing that every game I bought either sucked on its own merits (Rune) or sucked because a franchise I loved had been dumbed down and simplified to the point that I found it unplayable (Soul Reaver 2).

I did really enjoy Project Eden at the time, though.

Old August 26th, 2012, 10:01 AM   #15: [Thread] [Post]
jordan692007
Veteran Member

Veteran Member

Press Start
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grave_Digger View Post
I never get systems at launch and I think it took a year or two for me to finally get a PS2. I don't actually remember what were my first games, MGS2 was probably one of them, I just don't know for sure. The earliest I can remember is getting Final Fantasy X for the PS2. Pretty sure (but not positive) I got my dad to take me to EB games sometime within my first week of getting the PS2 and I snagged a copy of it as well as the strategy guide (which was somehow lost over the years). I still remember being blown away not only by the graphics but that I was actually playing a Final Fantasy game where the characters were speaking. It just blew me away. It's a shame that that was the last Final Fantasy to have done that to me.
I agree FF10 is still my favorite FF in the series and i still play it to this day
  Chuck Norris for 20 12 presidential running.. If you don't vote Chuck Norris for 2012 he will personally come to your house and give you an old fashion Norris ASS WHOOPING.

Hello, my name is Jordan692007 and i approve this Signature

Post New Thread Reply

GameWinners.com Forums > Consoles & Technology > Past Generations > Past Generations > PlayStation 2