Old April 3rd, 2012, 04:40 PM   #16: [Thread] [Post]
Whale Biologist
#lethalweapon

Decade Award 

Veteran Member

Horadric Cube
Quote:
Originally Posted by aLucidMind View Post
Looks like I won't be buying the next gen until it the gen after is about to be released. I'll just focus on the games I missed this gen and last gen while occassionally buying new next-gen games IF the online pass for the used game doesn't make the used price+pass cost more than a new game. That said, I don't see how this would hurt GameStop since all they would have to do is lower their prices more since they get pure profit minus overhead and the pittance they paid.
It hurts Gamestop because used games are the only way they make any significant amount of money at all. Online passes are just developers taking a cut of the game they made anyway, so I don't see what the big deal with that is (as long as they aren't charging for it with the new game).

At some point an enterprising game company will sell a console with all-digital distribution for video games and physical copies will go away altogether. I'm surprised that hasn't happened yet.
  All I want for Christmas is a Premium Membership...  

Old April 3rd, 2012, 05:27 PM   #17: [Thread] [Post]
aLucidMind

Press Start
I'm honestly hoping they don't do away with physical copies. I like having the actual object in my hands.

Old April 3rd, 2012, 05:58 PM   #18: [Thread] [Post]
Mr. DNA
Going: moist to tricky

Veteran Member
Premium Member

+2 vs. Chaotic Evil
Am I the only one who hopes that the final product will be called the Playstation Roy Orbison? Where it will talk to the player in the voice of Roy Orbison and play "Pretty Woman" on demand? No?

DEVO

Darling I'm dazzled but you know I'm too frazzled

Old April 3rd, 2012, 09:04 PM   #19: [Thread] [Post]
Whale Biologist
#lethalweapon

Decade Award 

Veteran Member

Horadric Cube
Quote:
Originally Posted by aLucidMind View Post
I'm honestly hoping they don't do away with physical copies. I like having the actual object in my hands.
I don't agree with this. I don't have physical copies of my music and that works just fine for me. I wish it could be the same with games and with movies.

There's a lot of upside to all digital distribution, like eliminating all the disc drive issues or not even having to put one in the console at all. The downside is that everyone with a console would have to have hi-speed internet and there'd be no used games. I'd even like to see games move to a subscription-based model like cable, where I can pay a subscription and play I want. Onlive is like this, but I don't see the industry going this way.
  All I want for Christmas is a Premium Membership...  

Old April 4th, 2012, 05:03 AM   #20: [Thread] [Post]
Northern Lights
Perfection '11

WINdependent College Football Pick 'Em Christmas in July! Wasteland Survivor The Lone Wanderer 

Premium Member
News Editor

M-M-M-Monster Kill!
Definitely a code name. Surely.

"There's no easy way to tell you this, so I just brought some pictures. Your husband's the blackened, crispy one."

Moderating: The E-fed Epicenter | Call of Duty | Fallout | Smart Phones | Competitive & Co-Operative Gaming | Final Fantasy | Food & Health

RIP Paul Wickens AKA Don Paulo
RIP Michael Burton AKA Mike!
RIP Shaun Pleima AKA Beha

The TD Acknowledgement Club

Old April 4th, 2012, 10:15 AM   #21: [Thread] [Post]
TD
GWFL Titanic returning soon...

Soldier of Fortune Trophy Wasteland Survivor Hall of Famer The Champ Post Potentate 

Veteran Member
Premium Member

My biggest problem with digital distribution / having to download games is the bandwidth limits that internet providers I have. I have a 60GB bandwidth limit for upload/download - so if games are going to be large files it doesn't give me much flexibility. It is actually the main reason I don't really buy many games from the Playstation Store.

Signature.

Old April 4th, 2012, 12:18 PM   #22: [Thread] [Post]
Rabid
NEED MOAR DEE-PEE-ESS

Vault Dweller Wasteland Survivor Forums Traveler Friend O' Klowny Lose the Loose! 

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Horadric Cube
I honestly don't realistically see how a digital-only distribution could work next gen, or at least in the very beginning. Who the hell is going to want to go to the store to buy a new console, just to take it home and download the 10-50gb epic day-1 releases? Not I sir, not I. I'd much rather go to the store, buy the console and a couple games plop the disc in and start playing.

Mankind's true moral test,
is fundamental test
which lies deeply buried from view,
consists of its attitude towards those who are at its mercy.
And in this respect mankind has suffered a fundamental debacle,
a debacle so fundamental that all others stem from it.

Old April 4th, 2012, 12:31 PM   #23: [Thread] [Post]
Northern Lights
Perfection '11

WINdependent College Football Pick 'Em Christmas in July! Wasteland Survivor The Lone Wanderer 

Premium Member
News Editor

M-M-M-Monster Kill!
I'm a believer that everything will be digital soon. It's practically that way with music already.

"There's no easy way to tell you this, so I just brought some pictures. Your husband's the blackened, crispy one."

Moderating: The E-fed Epicenter | Call of Duty | Fallout | Smart Phones | Competitive & Co-Operative Gaming | Final Fantasy | Food & Health

RIP Paul Wickens AKA Don Paulo
RIP Michael Burton AKA Mike!
RIP Shaun Pleima AKA Beha

The TD Acknowledgement Club

Old April 4th, 2012, 03:08 PM   #24: [Thread] [Post]
Rabid
NEED MOAR DEE-PEE-ESS

Vault Dweller Wasteland Survivor Forums Traveler Friend O' Klowny Lose the Loose! 

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Horadric Cube
I like music, but I'm not such a fan of it that I require physical media for all of my music. Anyway, I have a zune subscription. Video games on the other hand, I am very fond of and have been collecting long before I even cared about music.

is fundamental test

Old April 4th, 2012, 03:28 PM   #25: [Thread] [Post]
Grave_Digger
The Hottest Thing Since Sliced Bread

Band of the Red Hand Journeyer 

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Horadric Cube
I hope games don't go all digital for a long time. My Internet sucks.

Old April 4th, 2012, 04:04 PM   #26: [Thread] [Post]
Puffy Ghost

Grammar Nazi 

Horadric Cube
If games are cheaper, I'd be all for it, so long as I get a license that says I actually OWN the game, and they don't mind me making a physical copy...that'll never happen though.

Old April 4th, 2012, 04:14 PM   #27: [Thread] [Post]
Nimbus
[INSERT TITLE HERE]

Resident Weasel Steam Player Journeyer Sweetroller Friend O' Klowny 

Veteran Member
Premium Member
News Editor

Horadric Cube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
I'm a believer that everything will be digital soon. It's practically that way with music already.
I believe this as well. However, I don't think it is going to happen next gen. There are enough people against it, so I don't think it would be a smart move on Sony's/Microsoft's/Nintendo's part.

Old April 11th, 2012, 08:43 AM   #28: [Thread] [Post]
puertorock_papi
Semper Fi

From the Grave 

Veteran Member

Horadric Cube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
Music is small files and has no rental market as well. And despite as huge as digital music is, CD's are still being made and still make up half the total album sales

Quote:
For the first time, digital music purchases surpassed those of physical albums like CDs and vinyl records: 50.3 percent of all units sold whether singles or full albums were digital, according to SoundScan.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/05/bu...h-in-2011.html

49.7% are CD sales. While digital is taking over just think about it one thing. It's 2012 and CD still make up half of the sales.

So now lets look at the game and movie market where renting is huge along with the fact games are pushing GBs of data combined in a world where more internet providers are adopting caps.

It would be impossible to go all digital.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffy Ghost View Post
If games are cheaper, I'd be all for it, so long as I get a license that says I actually OWN the game, and they don't mind me making a physical copy...that'll never happen though.
Let me put it this way. I bought Infamous 2 from Amazon for $28 bucks brand new while on PSN you can download it for $59.99

The issue here is if it goes all digital we gamers are actually screwed. Imagine this, you buy a WiiU and every game is digital and can only be puchased through the WiiU network. How are you going to get a great deal on lets say the new Metroid? How is that game ever going to drop in price? You have not competition on a proprietary network. There is no other digital service on the WiiU network to compete with.

That's why DD is fine on PC. You can choose multiple DD servers and they compete against each other. But on a Sony/MS/Nintendo network we're screwed.

Quote puertorock_papi edited at 08:43 AM (April 11th, 2012) (Reason: Multi-Post)
  "If it becomes too popular, we just cannot produce enough consoles. [laughs]
- Shigeru Miyamoto (asked what was his greatest system concern for Gamecube at E3 2001)"

Old April 11th, 2012, 08:53 AM   #29: [Thread] [Post]
Rabid
NEED MOAR DEE-PEE-ESS

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Horadric Cube
Quote:
Originally Posted by puertorock_papi View Post
Let me put it this way. I bought Infamous 2 from Amazon for $28 bucks brand new while on PSN you can download it for $59.99

The issue here is if it goes all digital we gamers are actually screwed. Imagine this, you buy a WiiU and every game is digital and can only be puchased through the WiiU network. How are you going to get a great deal on lets say the new Metroid? How is that game ever going to drop in price? You have not competition on a proprietary network. There is no other digital service on the WiiU network to compete with.
What about those cards you buy in stores with a code to download the software? Those frequently go on sale, hell, even Microsoft points go on sale.

is fundamental test

Old April 11th, 2012, 05:46 PM   #30: [Thread] [Post]
Fool's Requiem
This is the song that never ends.

Post Potentate Decade Award 

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Silent Assassin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
Time to start saving up for a gaming PC. Next-gen is going to be even worse than this gen.
I'm probably going to have to do this. I don't like that that M$ and $ony are both rumored to be working on blocking used games. Which for someone who likes to scrounge stores for older games that I missed out on the first time around, this is no bueno.

20 years from now, people will be trying to play classic games for the Xbox 720 and Sony Orbitz and realize that they can't because it's considered a used game and the service used to force people to pay to play a used game will probably have been shut down for 5 years. And then we'll tell our kids stories about how once upon a time, you could play classic games and not be forced to pay more money for them than what you paid when you purchase the game and you could play them on any console at any time without any restrictions, and your kids will sit there and be all "Yeah right, like that would ever happen. The Chinasoft government would never permit such a thing."

Post New Thread Reply

GameWinners.com Forums > Consoles & Technology > Console Combat