The web's largest cheats, codes, and game help site  
CHEATS | NEWS | FORUMS | REVIEWS | VIDEOS | SEARCH 

Go Back   GameWinners.com Forums > Consoles & Technology > Console Combat

Post New Thread Reply    

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 24th, 2012, 11:05 AM   #1: [Thread] [Post]
Crazy Jamie
First recipient of the Amaloo Award

GameWinners Year End Award Winner EPIC POST! Steam Player Resident Weasel Amaloo Prize 

Super Moderator
Premium Member

M-M-M-Monster Kill!
PS Vita impressions

Obviously those who have actually bought one will be able to best comment on their experiences, but what does everyone think about the Vita from those who have actually tried it?

Personally I've managed to have a couple of plays on a Vita now. I've played Uncharted and Virtua Tennis, and have fiddled around with the machine generally. From my experience I've actually been very impressed on the whole. As a piece of hardware it is much more impressive than I was expecting. Uncharted was absolutely stunning, and really did make me completely re assess my standards for hand helds in terms of graphics. But the console as a whole feels solid, with the analogue sticks being nice and responsive. The touch screen seems responsive as well, though obviously how it is implemented in games will always be a sticking point. In terms of navigation between menus it actually felt a lot like an iPhone in terms of ease and efficiency.

I'm not buying one, because it is too expensive and I wouldn't have chance to play it much. The timing of the launch also seems a little odd to say the least. But as a piece of hardware on its own merits, and ignoring the surrounding decisions made by Sony, I have to say that the Vita is very impressive.

"Mind if I use your phone? If word gets out that I'm missing five hundred girls will kill themselves."

Old February 24th, 2012, 11:28 AM   #2: [Thread] [Post]
VashTheStampede
just won this thread

The Champ My Way Hall of Famer Admin Mario EPIC POST! 

Veteran Member
Ex-Moderator

Civil Protection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Jamie View Post
From my experience I've actually been very impressed on the whole. As a piece of hardware it is much more impressive than I was expecting.
My thoughts exactly.

Bought it practically on a whim and so far have been very excited with my purchase. The rear touchpad seemed like something I would hate, but one of my first purchases was FIFA, which utilizes the rear touchpad brilliantly.

I didn't do a terrible amount of research before the purchase (which is seriously out of character, but so be it) and thus Near was a pleasant surprise. Feels like an application that Nintendo would normally do and make somewhat obtuse, but Near is quick and easy thankfully.

Only two concerns is that pretty much the entire UI is SOLELY based on touch, when the remarkable analog sticks or the standard d-pad would suffice as well. Also I feel the device is SLIGHTLY disproportionate to my hands...mainly the location of the two rubber pads on the back of the Vita where you're supposed to be able to rest your fingers to avoid inadvertent touching of the rear pad.

Now they just need to support the system here in the States with a ton of the random JRPGs I so adore.

Vash for Winner of This Thread!
I mean seriously, LOOK AT THAT POST!

Ignoring the words of your obnoxious little brother; kill or be killed spilled the words from your mother. I'll lay awake for a while. I'll leave the light on a while. But you couldn't last a lifetime. Caught between here and the days of it; carving her name across your arm with every wish. It's hit or miss...her. I told you so. I measure distance in lines departing the rest of my life. But you, you, you...you had better things to do...
Currently Playing: WWE '13 (360), Torchlight II (PC), Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (PS3), Persona 4: Golden (Vita)
Currently Viewing: Archer (S4), Justified (S4), The Ultimate Fighter (Jones vs Sonnen)
"Your father's dead, he passed in his sleep. And I woke to the sounds of her crying. Pray for us all."

Old February 24th, 2012, 11:46 AM   #3: [Thread] [Post]
Northern Lights
Perfection '11

WINdependent College Football Pick 'Em Christmas in July! Wasteland Survivor The Lone Wanderer 

Premium Member
News Editor

M-M-M-Monster Kill!
Didn't know you were a FIFA man, Vash.

"There's no easy way to tell you this, so I just brought some pictures. Your husband's the blackened, crispy one."

Moderating: The E-fed Epicenter | Call of Duty | Fallout | Smart Phones | Competitive & Co-Operative Gaming | Final Fantasy | Food & Health

RIP Paul Wickens AKA Don Paulo
RIP Michael Burton AKA Mike!
RIP Shaun Pleima AKA Beha

The TD Acknowledgement Club

Old February 24th, 2012, 10:04 PM   #4: [Thread] [Post]
Supplice
I went slow once and it was awful.

Triple Triad Participant 

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Horadric Cube
I bought a 3DS, instead. When Ys 4's remake comes out here, I'll buy a Vita. It'll have a price drop by then, I'm sure. Let's hope it's not bombing here, too.
  Destiny calls! Do you dare...witness its aurora?! Majestic Gate!
Know your enemy, know yourself, and maybe next time you won't get pushed off my world.
Dishing out blueplates like this was a diner since '98, and comboing ASMD since '99.

Old February 25th, 2012, 07:14 PM   #5: [Thread] [Post]
VashTheStampede
just won this thread

Veteran Member
Ex-Moderator

Civil Protection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
Didn't know you were a FIFA man, Vash.
Never had been before. Tried, couldn't get into it. Started following Premier League this year, so between that and the awesome Vita controls, I am now officially hooked.

Ignoring the words of your obnoxious little brother; kill or be killed spilled the words from your mother. I'll lay awake for a while. I'll leave the light on a while. But you couldn't last a lifetime. Caught between here and the days of it; carving her name across your arm with every wish. It's hit or miss...her. I told you so. I measure distance in lines departing the rest of my life. But you, you, you...you had better things to do...
Currently Playing: WWE '13 (360), Torchlight II (PC), Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (PS3), Persona 4: Golden (Vita)
Currently Viewing: Archer (S4), Justified (S4), The Ultimate Fighter (Jones vs Sonnen)
"Your father's dead, he passed in his sleep. And I woke to the sounds of her crying. Pray for us all."

Old February 25th, 2012, 08:37 PM   #6: [Thread] [Post]
dimmerwit
Veteran Member

Steam Player Post Potentate Al Sighting Forums Traveler EPIC POST! 

Veteran Member

+2 vs. Chaotic Evil
I've fiddled around with this now a couple of times, back at Christmas in Singapore and now in the UK.

I'm impressed. The build quality is great. The inclusion of the second stick makes you wonder what they were thinking not putting 2 on the original PSP, the touch controls work well and the graphics are really pretty impressive. FIFA plays really well, a little shame it's based on 11 and not 12 but the rear touch pad means I can finally shoot properly.

I haven't owned a portable system since the Gameboy Colour (although I did borrow a friend's DS for a fair while to catch up on Pokemon), I can't really justify it when I'm rarely away from my PC and home consoles. But this is the most tempted I've been. Whilst hardware isn't everything (see: PSP) it is a lot more impressive as a piece of kit than the 3DS.

Old February 26th, 2012, 12:49 AM   #7: [Thread] [Post]
Darth-gamer
Open Water Diver. Blub Blub.

Soldier of Fortune Trophy Forums Traveler 

Veteran Member
Premium Member

+2 vs. Chaotic Evil
To me I usually enjoy 2 brands immensely. Sony and Apple. From BRAVIA, PS3, PSP (That I liked MUCH more than DS and owned both), PS2, PS1, camcorders, AV receivers, whatever, I like Sony as a company and have just to have a bad experience. Same goes for my iMac, iPhone, iPods, iPad and Apple TV.

Now, that being said, Vita to me is "Let's throw sh*t at the wall and see what sticks!" I mean look: Let's add another analog stick. I AGREE WITH THAT. Let's add a touch screen. Ok, don't care for "deeper" games using a touch screen but ok. Let's add motion controls. No. NO! I don't even like motion controls on my iPad/phone. I don't like motion controls. STOP! But wait, there's more: Let's add a BACK touch screen that messes with the way you must grip it as to not interfere with the touch screen. NO NO NO! Let's add a direct rip off of the 3DS's "Friends around you (no idea what the name is)" feature. Let's not. Let's add a rip-off of the Miis from the Wii! *shoots self* On top of that: Let's add absurdly priced PROPRIETARY memory (*ahem*, sorry Apple), a low battery life, and high priced games, especially if you already have the PSP versions! I'm really not drawn to this at all.

Quote Darth-gamer edited at 12:50 AM (February 26th, 2012)

Old February 26th, 2012, 03:44 PM   #8: [Thread] [Post]
Puffy Ghost

Grammar Nazi 

Horadric Cube
Finally got my hands on one yesterday. The technology itself is amazing, the screen is gorgeous, the touch controls work well, and the second analog stick is a blessing that should have been on the original PSP.

All that aside, I think the Vita's fate will be pretty similar to the PSP. It's a shiny new toy that everyone would LIKE to have, but will never have a strong enough reason to actually get.

I played Uncharted, which looked fantastic, and performed okay. The touchscreen on the back screwed with me a couple times, and some of the controls from the console games don't translate very well to the Vita, but those are pretty minor complaints. My major complaint would be that I'd rather be playing this game on my TV with my PS3 (which is rumored to be a possibility.) Sony should have learned that console franchises aren't going to help their handhelds. Unless something truly great comes out for Vita, and only Vita I don't see it doing so hot.

Old February 26th, 2012, 04:44 PM   #9: [Thread] [Post]
Darth-gamer

Veteran Member
Premium Member

+2 vs. Chaotic Evil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffy Ghost View Post

I played Uncharted, which looked fantastic, and performed okay. The touchscreen on the back screwed with me a couple times, and some of the controls from the console games don't translate very well to the Vita, but those are pretty minor complaints. My major complaint would be that I'd rather be playing this game on my TV with my PS3 (which is rumored to be a possibility.) Sony should have learned that console franchises aren't going to help their handhelds. Unless something truly great comes out for Vita, and only Vita I don't see it doing so hot.
Ta-da! If the goal is to make deeper games with superb graphics then just play it on you actual big screen. I have this 42" 1080p HDTV over here, so let me go play on a 4" screen! :/ This argument always comes up when talking about portable systems, and I think it's a very valid point.

Old February 26th, 2012, 05:53 PM   #10: [Thread] [Post]
Nimbus
[INSERT TITLE HERE]

Resident Weasel Steam Player Journeyer Sweetroller Friend O' Klowny 

Veteran Member
Premium Member
News Editor

Horadric Cube
I didn't buy one, but I did try it out. It was interesting though. I only got to try Uncharted for about 7 minutes, but the controls and gameplay was very smooth.

I want one, but there is no way I can spend the cash on something like the Vita right now. I hope it doesn't crash and burn like the PSP.

Old February 26th, 2012, 10:55 PM   #11: [Thread] [Post]
VashTheStampede
just won this thread

Veteran Member
Ex-Moderator

Civil Protection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth-gamer View Post
Ta-da! If the goal is to make deeper games with superb graphics then just play it on you actual big screen. I have this 42" 1080p HDTV over here, so let me go play on a 4" screen! :/ This argument always comes up when talking about portable systems, and I think it's a very valid point.
Yup totally gonna lug my 42" TV with me so I can kill time before/after/during work whilst I wait for transportation...

I fail to see how its a valid point. Because something is portable we SHOULD NOT strive for better tech and/or experiences?

Old February 27th, 2012, 01:16 AM   #12: [Thread] [Post]
puertorock_papi
Semper Fi

From the Grave 

Veteran Member

Horadric Cube
I'm a have to disagree with the whole "I rather play it on console". Grant it I say that alot but that's because I'm not a big handheld gamer so I don't care much for gaming on the go. But if you are why wouldn't you want the best possible tech/production value/ experience you can get on a handheld.

You see that is a good cop out for Nintendo fans. They pull the whole "I don't want console level experience on my handheld, I got a home console for that"

But then when someone pulls the "I don't need a 3DS cause my iphone provides great cheap games on a device I have to carry anyway" they immediately bash the iphone games for being cheap low production titles.

You can't pick and choose when you want a high production handheld game and when you don't.
  "If it becomes too popular, we just cannot produce enough consoles. [laughs]
- Shigeru Miyamoto (asked what was his greatest system concern for Gamecube at E3 2001)"

Old February 27th, 2012, 05:50 AM   #13: [Thread] [Post]
Darth-gamer

Veteran Member
Premium Member

+2 vs. Chaotic Evil
Quote:
Originally Posted by VashTheStampede View Post
Yup totally gonna lug my 42" TV with me so I can kill time before/after/during work whilst I wait for transportation...
Correct. Before/After/During work is also not the time to get into a deep involved game.

Old February 27th, 2012, 11:17 AM   #14: [Thread] [Post]
VashTheStampede
just won this thread

Veteran Member
Ex-Moderator

Civil Protection
You just described every minute of every day, barring days off.

Also: save files exist for a reason.

Old February 27th, 2012, 01:39 PM   #15: [Thread] [Post]
Puffy Ghost

Grammar Nazi 

Horadric Cube
Quote:
You see that is a good cop out for Nintendo fans. They pull the whole "I don't want console level experience on my handheld, I got a home console for that"
I'd have no problem buying a Vita if it provided an experience I couldn't have on any other console. Right now it doesn't, and looking at the release titles it won't any time soon.

I'm all for using the best tech possible, but the difference between the way Nintendo and Sony use their tech is that Nintendo creates a gaming environment you can only get on their handhelds, where Sony throws their biggest franchises at it and hopes it'll work.

The awe factor of the Vita is extremely similar to the PSP, playing near PS3 quality games is pretty amazing, and so was playing PS2 quality games on the PSP...for about a year.

Quote:
But then when someone pulls the "I don't need a 3DS cause my iphone provides great cheap games on a device I have to carry anyway" they immediately bash the iphone games for being cheap low production titles.
Why wouldn't that argument work against the Vita as well? I don't need a Vita/3DS my iPhone plays sh*tty games just fine :\

I only bash "mobile gaming" because that's not actually what it is....yet. Appletards like to argue otherwise, but it simply isn't true, not a single mobile game holds a candle to Super Mario 3D or Uncharted.

Post New Thread Reply

GameWinners.com Forums > Consoles & Technology > Console Combat