Old January 3rd, 2012, 09:31 PM   #31: [Thread] [Post]
Quagmire
UofL Cardinals, NY Yankees, NY Giants

Post Potentate Lose the Loose! 

Veteran Member

Horadric Cube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth-gamer View Post
Then again, the point remains, for a PORTABLE game, we might not want high production values. If we want that amazing AAA awe-inspiring game then take a seat, fire up your PS3, 360 or PC (BUT NOT WII!!!!!!1111lolz) and enjoy. On your lunch break or in line at the store you don't really want or care for a hugely involved game.
Some people do as evident by how many DSes (or is it DSs?) sold, sure a life are for kids, but not all...some hardcore titles like infinity blade do exist...is love to purchase chrono trigger and sonic cd for my iPhone, but I don't to deal with crappy controls...it's all about having choice; and have AAA caliber game is a choice I'd love to have on the go

Old January 4th, 2012, 02:37 AM   #32: [Thread] [Post]
puertorock_papi
Semper Fi

From the Grave 

Veteran Member

Horadric Cube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid View Post
Nintendo markets it's handheld (and television console) system towards children, look at top selling titles for every Nintendo handheld and it will tell you this. iPhone games (aside from Angry birds as of late) don't really do this. Also, apple markets towards young professionals, not 8-15 year olds.
Some of the top selling games on iphone are games like Angry Birds, Cut the Rope, Fruit Ninja.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zohaib View Post
Angry birds and cut the rope are meant more for people who just need to pass a few minutes while in the doctor's office, commuting etc. In those cases, they are just as ideal for kids as adults.
So it's ok for an adult to look like a child at the doctor's office simply for the sake to pass the time? If something is childish then it's childish. I outgrown playing with lego blocks and playdough. Just because I'm at the doctor's office doesn't mean I'm going to walk over to the kiddy area and start getting my lego block on.

TBH I don't even see why I'm bothering discussing this. Gaming has already been certified as a acceptable adult entertainment whether it be a dedicated handheld, phone, PC or home console. This argument is so 1980s.

Quote:
The whole point of the new iphone was to provide a better processor with the main target being to improve gaming performance.
No the whole point of a new iphone just like every iphone is to provide better performance period. With better performance comes better apps.

Quote:
See, my point was that Sony, Nintendo should get out of the business of making new handhelds and focus on providing software to get in to the cell phone market. You are absolutely right, the gaming on cell phones isn't "there" yet, but it will get there. Even as soon as 2012 as a lot of manufacturers are looking to focus on gaming now that the camera, resolution and build competition is dying down. Point is that Sony and Nintendo have the resources to get a very good early lead.
Most cell games suck though. Maybe they're good if you're waiting to get a root canal. Cell games are only acceptable cause they cost around a buck so there is literally zero expectation for standards. People criticize God of War PSP but OMG Infinity Blade is amazing.

There is a market for dedicated handheld gamers. This is not debatable. 3DS is now skyrocketing across the map in sales and IMO it still barely got any games (where is everyone's iphone God now?).

Vita's problem is it's price but just like the PS3, with prices and increased library Vita will take off and between 3DS and Vita since both has similar touch screen control you're going to see a market of great handheld games while iphone gets welfare trash for 99 cents and the only time someone would fire that game up is when they're waiting at the DMV.
  "If it becomes too popular, we just cannot produce enough consoles. [laughs]
- Shigeru Miyamoto (asked what was his greatest system concern for Gamecube at E3 2001)"

Old January 4th, 2012, 02:38 PM   #33: [Thread] [Post]
Puffy Ghost

Grammar Nazi 

Horadric Cube
Quote:
Then again, the point remains, for a PORTABLE game, we might not want high production values.
That's a terrible point. In fact that's not a point at all. The reason 99% of cell phone games suck is because they cost $12 to make. production value=more development time=more staff=more costly games, hence why we're seeing $10 games now, whereas 18 months ago, you'd be hard pressed to find a game over $5.

If you really think cell phone games aren't going to keep getting more advance, and more expensive, you're kidding yourself.

Quote:
If we want that amazing AAA awe-inspiring game then take a seat, fire up your PS3, 360 or PC
Or I can take a seat and fire up my 3DS, and play one of the many AAA titles for that.

Old January 4th, 2012, 03:02 PM   #34: [Thread] [Post]
Rabid
NEED MOAR DEE-PEE-ESS

Vault Dweller Wasteland Survivor Forums Traveler Friend O' Klowny Lose the Loose! 

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Horadric Cube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffy Ghost View Post
Or I can take a seat and fire up my 3DS, and play one of the many AAA titles for that.
Really? What is an original, non-remake, AAA title that is on 3DS? The only games I can think of that are even worth buying specifically for 3DS are remakes of N64 games. Educate me.

Mankind's true moral test,
is fundamental test
which lies deeply buried from view,
consists of its attitude towards those who are at its mercy.
And in this respect mankind has suffered a fundamental debacle,
a debacle so fundamental that all others stem from it.

Old January 4th, 2012, 03:22 PM   #35: [Thread] [Post]
Puffy Ghost

Grammar Nazi 

Horadric Cube
Mario 3D land.

But I was more referring to my giant backlog of DS games that still need playing.

You sound like all those Sony fanboys when the DS launched and didn't have any games, and all the PSP had was Lumines, which automatically made it better lulz.

I didn't buy a 3DS for it's launch lineup, or even its 6 month down the road lineup (although I already have 5 games for it...) I bought it because of it's got a good 5 year plan

Old January 7th, 2012, 04:34 PM   #36: [Thread] [Post]
Supplice
I went slow once and it was awful.

Triple Triad Participant 

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Horadric Cube
Anyone get this week's sales data for he Vita? Looks like it's even worse. It HAS to be the price compared to the 3DS, by now.
  Destiny calls! Do you dare...witness its aurora?! Majestic Gate!
Know your enemy, know yourself, and maybe next time you won't get pushed off my world.
Dishing out blueplates like this was a diner since '98, and comboing ASMD since '99.

Old January 7th, 2012, 08:48 PM   #37: [Thread] [Post]
Zohaib
Yep.

Decade Award 

Ex-Moderator

Guitar Hero
Infinity Blade has made over $30 million dollars.

Angry Birds has made over $70 million dollars.

You have to consider that cell phone games can reach a much larger audience than handheld gaming as well as cost less to develop as there is no manufacturing and retail costs.

Therefore, the price doesn't necessary have to get as high as handheld games to make a decent game.

Old January 7th, 2012, 10:02 PM   #38: [Thread] [Post]
Puffy Ghost

Grammar Nazi 

Horadric Cube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplice View Post
Anyone get this week's sales data for he Vita? Looks like it's even worse. It HAS to be the price compared to the 3DS, by now.
42k units...yeah...not good. Not including a memory card I think is really killing the sales. I don't know why they wouldn't at least include an 8gb memory card with the console, that way they could at least half justify the ridiculous prices they're charging for them.

Quote:
You have to consider that cell phone games can reach a much larger audience than handheld gaming as well as cost less to develop as there is no manufacturing and retail costs.
Manufacturing and shipping to retail stores aren't the only thing that makes handheld games more expensive. As I said before, when the production values go up, these games are going to need longer development time and more people working on them. Paying people to actually develop the games is what costs money.

Quote:
Therefore, the price doesn't necessary have to get as high as handheld games to make a decent game
I never said prices would be as high as handheld games (hell Vita games are $50) I'd wager they'll be significantly less, but are you going to pay $20-30 for crippled games? I certainly won't be.

Old January 7th, 2012, 10:44 PM   #39: [Thread] [Post]
Zohaib
Yep.

Decade Award 

Ex-Moderator

Guitar Hero
Yes, and what I'm saying is that Angry birds cost $140,000 to make and made $70 million dollars. If a game costs 10 times that amount to make, ie 1.4 million, it can still make a huge profit.

Yeah, games get more expensive to make but publishers also realize that it is better to sell a game for $x and reach a million people than sell it for $2x and reach a third of it.

Old January 8th, 2012, 01:16 AM   #40: [Thread] [Post]
Excalibur310
Veteran Member

Veteran Member

Fairy-in-a-Bottle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth-gamer View Post
Then again, the point remains, for a PORTABLE game, we might not want high production values. If we want that amazing AAA awe-inspiring game then take a seat, fire up your PS3, 360 or PC (BUT NOT WII!!!!!!1111lolz) and enjoy. On your lunch break or in line at the store you don't really want or care for a hugely involved game.
In line at the store? That takes only a couple minutes, is your attention span that short? And it's probably a good idea to pay attention to your surroundings when the line moves and be ready to check out. Hardly an ideal situation to bust out a game if you ask me.

What if you're traveling for a couple hours? A $3 game designed to hold a persons interest for about 5 minutes will not cut it.

Old January 8th, 2012, 12:51 PM   #41: [Thread] [Post]
Supplice
I went slow once and it was awful.

Triple Triad Participant 

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Horadric Cube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur310 View Post
In line at the store? That takes only a couple minutes, is your attention span that short? And it's probably a good idea to pay attention to your surroundings when the line moves and be ready to check out. Hardly an ideal situation to bust out a game if you ask me.

What if you're traveling for a couple hours? A $3 game designed to hold a persons interest for about 5 minutes will not cut it.
I find it hard to believe that some people lack the spatial awareness to move forward when the line moves wile looking at a screen.
Anyway, look at From Software's numbers. They don't use half as many people on their better titles as Activision, EA, and Ubisoft have on their -shovelware- titles, and they not only have consistent results(games are good, man), they also have a charm that, unfortunately, few companies can match. At all.
  Destiny calls! Do you dare...witness its aurora?! Majestic Gate!
Know your enemy, know yourself, and maybe next time you won't get pushed off my world.
Dishing out blueplates like this was a diner since '98, and comboing ASMD since '99.

Old January 8th, 2012, 04:23 PM   #42: [Thread] [Post]
Darth-gamer
Open Water Diver. Blub Blub.

Soldier of Fortune Trophy Forums Traveler 

Veteran Member
Premium Member

+2 vs. Chaotic Evil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur310 View Post

Ever consider the fact that when you have a non-deep portable you might be able to play, move with the line, AND WALK AND CHEW BUBBLEGUM at the same time!? Amazing concept.

Old January 8th, 2012, 09:59 PM   #43: [Thread] [Post]
Puffy Ghost

Grammar Nazi 

Horadric Cube
I've never once seen anyone playing any kind of cell phone game while waiting in line at a retail establishment.

Usually I see retards on Facebook and Twitter complaining about how long the line is -_-

Old January 8th, 2012, 10:12 PM   #44: [Thread] [Post]
DeathscytheV

Press Start
Needs more than 3 weeks to be a flop or not...PSP isn't a flop there and it looked like it was for a while.

Old January 8th, 2012, 10:19 PM   #45: [Thread] [Post]
Gorge
is robbing a gun store with a knife.

Steam Player Al Sighting Lose the Loose! From the Grave 

Veteran Member

Horadric Cube
But 3 weeks seems to be long enough to be launch time and as far as I'm concerned it had a floppy launch.

Post New Thread Reply

GameWinners.com Forums > Consoles & Technology > Console Combat