Old December 5th, 2011, 04:39 PM   #31: [Thread] [Post]
Mr. DNA
Going: moist to tricky

Veteran Member
Premium Member

+2 vs. Chaotic Evil
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoMantis View Post
You need a warning to tell you not to move a console that spins a disc at greater than 5000 rpm?
It would have been nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid View Post
I've only had one xbox 360, played through far more than 20 games with thousands of hours on it and have had absolutely no problems with it. I put 40 hours into LBP1, 20-ish into Resistance 1+2 (each), 40 hours in NEIR, and maybe 100 hours a couple PS1 classics and I've had to have my PS3 repaired twice. Once for a busted hard drive, and again for some disc read error I couldn't figure out.
I've never had any problems with my ps3, although I'm now on my third 360 after the first two red-ringed on me. I haven't got any evidence to back this up, but I do think that the 360 does generally have a worse record when it comes to consoles giving up the ghost.

DEVO

Darling I'm dazzled but you know I'm too frazzled

Old December 5th, 2011, 04:48 PM   #32: [Thread] [Post]
PsychoMantis
COP KNIFE

Steam Player Mod Mario 

Veteran Member
Ex-Moderator

Horadric Cube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. DNA View Post
It would have been nice.
WARNING: USE COMMON SENSE

Quote:
I haven't got any evidence to back this up, but I do think that the 360 does generally have a worse record when it comes to consoles giving up the ghost.
wat

A quick google search will provide you with loads of evidence to back this claim up.
  <3  

Old December 5th, 2011, 04:50 PM   #33: [Thread] [Post]
Rabid
NEED MOAR DEE-PEE-ESS

Vault Dweller Wasteland Survivor Forums Traveler Friend O' Klowny Lose the Loose! 

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Horadric Cube
Quote:
I've never had any problems with my ps3, although I'm now on my third 360 after the first two red-ringed on me. I haven't got any evidence to back this up, but I do think that the 360 does generally have a worse record when it comes to consoles giving up the ghost.
I would probably agree with you that the 360 has a worse record when it comes to breaking down, but I just find it funny when the PS3 fanboys act like Sony made an infallible console.

Mankind's true moral test,
is fundamental test
which lies deeply buried from view,
consists of its attitude towards those who are at its mercy.
And in this respect mankind has suffered a fundamental debacle,
a debacle so fundamental that all others stem from it.

Old December 5th, 2011, 05:00 PM   #34: [Thread] [Post]
Crazy Jamie
First recipient of the Amaloo Award

GameWinners Year End Award Winner EPIC POST! Steam Player Resident Weasel Amaloo Prize 

Super Moderator
Premium Member

M-M-M-Monster Kill!
Quote:
I would probably agree with you that the 360 has a worse record when it comes to breaking down, but I just find it funny when the PS3 fanboys act like Sony made an infallible console.
Personally before this generation I'd never had a console break on me. Then my launch Xbox 360 managed to catch the RROD, and my launch PS3 had its Blu Ray drive fail. Fortunately neither console cost me anything to repair, but it lends credence to the whole 'they don't make them like they used to' mantra.

"Mind if I use your phone? If word gets out that I'm missing five hundred girls will kill themselves."

Old December 5th, 2011, 05:05 PM   #35: [Thread] [Post]
Mr. DNA
Going: moist to tricky

Veteran Member
Premium Member

+2 vs. Chaotic Evil
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoMantis View Post
WARNING: USE COMMON SENSE
The problem was that the ps1, the Gamecube, the ps2 and the original Xbox didn't seem to have an issue whereby slightly nudging the console whilst it was on would result in terrifyingly loud crunching noises, and a ****ed-up game. Perhaps I'm wrong in saying this, but it did seem to me as though the 360 doing this was a new phenomenon.

Quote:
wat

A quick google search will provide you with loads of evidence to back this claim up.
Yeah, I just couldn't be arsed googling it.

Quote:
As someone who has witnessed Skyrim's ps3 lag "issue" first-hand, anyone who says that the ps3 is infallible should have their testiculars removed with a rusty breadknife.

DEVO

Darling I'm dazzled but you know I'm too frazzled

Old December 5th, 2011, 05:08 PM   #36: [Thread] [Post]
Rabid
NEED MOAR DEE-PEE-ESS

Vault Dweller Wasteland Survivor Forums Traveler Friend O' Klowny Lose the Loose! 

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Horadric Cube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Jamie View Post
Fortunately neither console cost me anything to repair, but it lends credence to the whole 'they don't make them like they used to' mantra.
My NES, which is as old, if not older than me still works like a charm. Unfortunately most of the used games I've managed to pick up need a good ol' fashion "blow job" to get them running. If only people knew how to take care of their games... I did, however, have to recently repair my SNES. Pretty sure one of the boards fried, but fortunately the repair was fairly inexpensive, 60 USD, including labor.

is fundamental test

Old December 5th, 2011, 05:41 PM   #37: [Thread] [Post]
Nicodemus
Sausage King of Chicago

Drew Something Guess the Picture Bindle of Excellence Post Potentate EPIC POST! 

Premium Member

Guitar Hero
I'm on both my second 360 (rrod) and second Ps3 (ylod).. have slims now on both accounts and they both seem to be chugging along just fine.

Quote:
As someone who has witnessed Skyrim's ps3 lag "issue" first-hand, anyone who says that the ps3 is infallible should have their testiculars removed with a rusty breadknife.
Does anyone really think that the Ps3 is problem free?

I would hate to have to rely on a Ps3 for gaming.. it's overall UI and user experience is garbage compared to 360. Forced installs, ginormous downloads and multiple updates for games before you can even play them, and with those you have to stare at a black screen while it downloads since title updates cant be downloaded in the background, and then it's slow as hell.

It really is abysmal compared to 360.

Old December 5th, 2011, 05:54 PM   #38: [Thread] [Post]
PsychoMantis
COP KNIFE

Steam Player Mod Mario 

Veteran Member
Ex-Moderator

Horadric Cube
Lack of party chat is the biggest reason why the PS3 would never be my main gaming console.

Also, even though the ps3 had better exclusives this year, I would still totally buy a 360 over it (if I didn't already have both that is).
  <3  

Old December 5th, 2011, 05:54 PM   #39: [Thread] [Post]
Rabid
NEED MOAR DEE-PEE-ESS

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Horadric Cube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
I would hate to have to rely on a Ps3 for gaming.. it's overall UI and user experience is garbage compared to 360. Forced installs, ginormous downloads and multiple updates for games before you can even play them, and with those you have to stare at a black screen while it downloads since title updates cant be downloaded in the background, and then it's slow as hell.
But if you pay for PS+ can't you have it set to automatically download updates, even if the console was turned off? I don't know for sure, I think it read that somewhere, but I have never been a PS+ member.

is fundamental test

Old December 5th, 2011, 05:55 PM   #40: [Thread] [Post]
PsychoMantis
COP KNIFE

Steam Player Mod Mario 

Veteran Member
Ex-Moderator

Horadric Cube
Yes and it doesn't work consistently for whatever reason. Besides, you have to pay to have access to automatic updates which is dumb. Not to mention, the same updates take seconds on the 360.

Quote PsychoMantis edited at 05:57 PM (December 5th, 2011)
  <3  

Old December 5th, 2011, 05:57 PM   #41: [Thread] [Post]
Crazy Jamie
First recipient of the Amaloo Award

GameWinners Year End Award Winner EPIC POST! Steam Player Resident Weasel Amaloo Prize 

Super Moderator
Premium Member

M-M-M-Monster Kill!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post

It really is abysmal compared to 360.
You see, I find the PSN Store to be significantly more efficient compared to Xbox Live. I can't say that I've ever been notably inconvenienced by the issues that you mention on the PS3 (especially when Steam requires you to install games as well), but I regularly find myself noticing the differences with the two in relation to finding items to buy and download.

"Mind if I use your phone? If word gets out that I'm missing five hundred girls will kill themselves."

Old December 5th, 2011, 05:58 PM   #42: [Thread] [Post]
PsychoMantis
COP KNIFE

Steam Player Mod Mario 

Veteran Member
Ex-Moderator

Horadric Cube
Quote:
(especially when Steam requires you to install games as well)
Not sure if joking or completely missing the point /frymeme

When you buy a game on disc is the expectation not to pop it in and play?
  <3  

Old December 5th, 2011, 06:09 PM   #43: [Thread] [Post]
Nicodemus
Sausage King of Chicago

Drew Something Guess the Picture Bindle of Excellence Post Potentate EPIC POST! 

Premium Member

Guitar Hero
Quote:
You see, I find the PSN Store to be significantly more efficient compared to Xbox Live. I can't say that I've ever been notably inconvenienced by the issues that you mention on the PS3 (especially when Steam requires you to install games as well), but I regularly find myself noticing the differences with the two in relation to finding items to buy and download.
Yeah, as Mantis pointed out, i'm talking about disc based games.

(Although I dare anyone to download Pain and try to keep count of how many title updates you have to sit through.)

Old December 5th, 2011, 06:27 PM   #44: [Thread] [Post]
Puffy Ghost

Grammar Nazi 

Horadric Cube
MS points.

That is all.

Old December 5th, 2011, 06:32 PM   #45: [Thread] [Post]
PsychoMantis
COP KNIFE

Steam Player Mod Mario 

Veteran Member
Ex-Moderator

Horadric Cube
Do Ms Points really bother you that much? Like, wut is the issue other than them being microsoft fun bux?
  <3  

Post New Thread Reply

GameWinners.com Forums > Consoles & Technology > Console Combat