The web's largest cheats, codes, and game help site  
CHEATS | NEWS | FORUMS | REVIEWS | VIDEOS | SEARCH 

Go Back   GameWinners.com Forums > Social Interaction > Debate & Discussion > Religion

Post New Thread Reply

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 29th, 2010, 12:27 AM   #1: [Thread] [Post]
aLucidMind

Press Start
Hmm I don't understand why some people are beyond blinded by religion

Me and this woman got into a conversation about the religions, but the way she spoke most of the time hinted that she felt hers was the "only right one". I brought up the ancient astronaut theory, which is something I believe in, and she starts bashing it. The only thing that got me was that she said that "its not in the bible, so its a lie and doesn't exist". She took that comment back when I mentioned the bible doesn't date back to the beginning of man since the ancient Egyptians had the exact same story as bible did with the Virgin Mary and Jesus (just different names). Plus, they had very different beliefs. So the same story in a very different belief structure devalued her statement. (I'm more agnostic towards my beliefs about the existance of a deity of any sort)

Then she goes on about talking about how it tries to "trick people into believing there is no God". When I started talking about how it isn't stating God doesn't exist, that the list of God's creations may stretch back long before the Human species even began. Thats when she starts spewing every single bit of the bible she can think of that she thinks debunks that Humans are the first and only civilized species in existance.

The more I tried to explain what it is saying, the more irrational she became to the point where I personally think she has let her beliefs completely blind her. It was to the point where she seemed like all that was missing was her on her back and kicking because the way she was yelling was seriously in a more childish manner than I've heard from spoiled child not getting her way. Seriously, what is the point of some people doing this to themselves?

Old June 29th, 2010, 12:39 AM   #2: [Thread] [Post]
Eternal Phoenix
Eternal Flame of Destruction and Rebirth

Forums Traveler The Champ EPIC POST! Friend O' Klowny Wrestling PPV Pick 'Em 

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Guitar Hero
Some people are crazy. I'm a Christian myself and I can tell there's something wrong with that woman. It's like this. People. The Bible, while containing a massive amount of rather useful information, does not contain all knowledge in the multiverse. No. It does not. I firmly believe that God meant for us to explore and understand what he made and how he made it.

Just another little thing. That breed of person can't separate religion from politics either. That drives me nuts. Just because you know something's wrong doesn't mean everyone agrees or is inclined to agree.

People cling like that to religion out of fear. One thing to explain it all, tie everything up in a neat little bow. "Oh, it's a not a senseless tragedy, it's God's plan!" Wake up. It's both. That's the point. Now I'm done.

A LITTLE TRUTH
(not necessarily updated regularly or at all)

"People don't watch TV for something different, they want to see the same thing they've always seen and have everything be exactly the way it was when it's over. Clever things make people feel stupid, and unexpected things make them feel scared." ~Philip J.Fry
iLove the 90s Club
ORIOLES Offseason was decent enough. Could even contend, maybe. RAVENS 8-8. No playoffs. A season full of fail. Yay.
Upcoming Mafia games: Oh, I dunno. Kind of tired of the whole scene, you know.

Old June 29th, 2010, 01:07 AM   #3: [Thread] [Post]
aLucidMind

Press Start
It just shocks me how people don't seem to get that they're just re-enforcing any negative stereotype about the religious. They (in the eyes of the rational and logical) tend to make the religious text their religion is based on, the bible in this case, like a tabloid magazine that prints stories like how Sarah Palin has been abducted by aliens to run their planet or stories claiming the end of the world will happen in 2 months every 3 months using the words of people like Nostradamus.

Old June 29th, 2010, 06:11 PM   #4: [Thread] [Post]
Argh
Never Serious

Veteran Member

Fairy-in-a-Bottle
It's a crutch. She "needs" it in order to stay (relatively) sane. On the plus side, it'll be easy to use the Jedi mind trick on her..

Old June 30th, 2010, 12:29 PM   #5: [Thread] [Post]
Duke Nukem
Drugs are bad

Veteran Member

Guitar Hero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Phoenix View Post
...The Bible, while containing a massive amount of rather useful information,
I'm sorry if I come off as some nitpicking jerk, but what exactly are you referring to here?

Invaders must die.

Old June 30th, 2010, 12:51 PM   #6: [Thread] [Post]
Eternal Phoenix
Eternal Flame of Destruction and Rebirth

Forums Traveler The Champ EPIC POST! Friend O' Klowny Wrestling PPV Pick 'Em 

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Guitar Hero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Nukem View Post
I'm sorry if I come off as some nitpicking jerk, but what exactly are you referring to here?
Well, let's see here...The Old Testament has a ton of history in it, the Gospels are the foundation of Christianity itself, and I've never had much use for Paul's letters. Yes, I know I left out a few things, like Psalms (music doesn't translate well, sadly), Proverbs (kinda fun when you're bored on a weekday), and Revelation (I'd need a degree in theology to understand half of it, there's a lot of imagery and metaphor). Among others.

Plus, some of the actual stories, like Esther or Ruth, are actually entertaining from a literary perspective.

A LITTLE TRUTH
(not necessarily updated regularly or at all)

"People don't watch TV for something different, they want to see the same thing they've always seen and have everything be exactly the way it was when it's over. Clever things make people feel stupid, and unexpected things make them feel scared." ~Philip J.Fry
iLove the 90s Club
ORIOLES Offseason was decent enough. Could even contend, maybe. RAVENS 8-8. No playoffs. A season full of fail. Yay.
Upcoming Mafia games: Oh, I dunno. Kind of tired of the whole scene, you know.

Old July 1st, 2010, 01:42 AM   #7: [Thread] [Post]
aLucidMind

Press Start
I, personally, have made it a point to only look at religious texts from a literary perspective. I don't see the point in people letting it dictate their lives, but I also don't see the point in others shunning it. It's like Mother Goose for adults, in a sense. Reading it as a full-story book and then trying to make sense of it will bring about thoughts of it contradicting itself. But if you look at it as a large collection of stories, you realize it has a vast amount of proper moral values.

Although, I think what I just said mostly just mirrors what Eternal Pheonix said.

Its been a while since I've read any of the religious texts. I've been paying more attention to trying to memorize most of the DSM-IV-TR that my Psychology professor bought for me as a birthday present ^_^ (I'm an aspiring mental health counselor).

Quote aLucidMind edited at 01:42 AM (July 1st, 2010) (Reason: Multi-Post)

Old July 1st, 2010, 10:21 AM   #8: [Thread] [Post]
AllThingsEqual
Objectivist

Veteran Member

Press Start
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Nukem View Post
If you are interested in the progression of Western thought than the Bible is a must. The Judeo-Christian worldview is what brought humans out of the polytheism that dominated the rest of the world around its influence.

It certainly wasn't necessary, though. Aristotle did come up with the idea of a Prime Mover all on his own.

Old July 4th, 2010, 01:00 PM   #9: [Thread] [Post]
Dean
Liberal-tarian

Grammar Nazi Wolf Wear The Champ My Way Al Sighting 

Premium Member

M-M-M-Monster Kill!
As an agnostic, most of my morals are directly tied to Christianity, so much like ALM and ATE, I tend to view it in a historical and philosophical view, as opposed to a literal perspective. That said, there are a lot of "problems" with the morals of the Old Testament and The Bible in general, which I generally shun, like being against homosexuality and subtle (and not so subtle) racism/sexism.

Am I worthless?
Am I filthy?
Am I too far gone for a remedy?
Will you help me?
Cause I'm dying
To be something more than a memory
If I reach out
Can I trust you?
Will you help me see the light of one more day?
Take the bullets away

Post New Thread Reply

GameWinners.com Forums > Social Interaction > Debate & Discussion > Religion