The web's largest cheats, codes, and game help site  
CHEATS | NEWS | FORUMS | REVIEWS | VIDEOS | SEARCH 

Go Back   GameWinners.com Forums > General Game Discussion > Video Game Bashing

Post New Thread Reply    

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 14th, 2009, 06:31 PM   #16: [Thread] [Post]
The Eye in the Sky!
I was brought up to believe...

EPIC POST! GameWinners Year End Award Winner Band of the Red Hand Post Potentate Mod Mario 

Premium Member

M-M-M-Monster Kill!
The first Roller Coaster Tycoon was the only one I got really into. I played them after Sim City 2000 and it was a great change of pace because there was more fun interactivity with it rather than tedious (though entertaining) fun.

I'd say my 11th game would have been Sim City 4, though. That game really put me over the top for the Sim City series.

How could you?! Haven't you learned anything from that guy who gives those sermons at church? Captain Whatshisname? We live in a society of laws. Why do you think I took you to all those Police Academy movies? For fun? Well, I didn't hear anybody laughing! Did you?!

Old December 14th, 2009, 06:44 PM   #17: [Thread] [Post]
Eternal Phoenix
Eternal Flame of Destruction and Rebirth

Forums Traveler The Champ EPIC POST! Friend O' Klowny Wrestling PPV Pick 'Em 

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Guitar Hero
Okay, just discovered this thread. Here I go, starting early with my old Genesis.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2-I love it. The solo, the two player, all of it. The cheats, or doing it all by yourself. From the first level to the death egg. Add on the Sonic and Knuckles to play as Knuckles, and you get an all new experience. Still plug up the Genesis just to play this one.

X-Men 2: Clone Wars-I've never beaten it, but there isn't a better game to play with a good friend, that doesn't involve shooting, music, or board gaming of some sort or another.

Now, we move on to the Playstation.

Final Fantasy VII-Saved my life. Literally. I was in a bad, bad depressed place, when I was in the Gamestop and saw the case just sitting there. It looked interesting, so I bought it, took it home, and put it in my still fairly new ol' gray box. That thing stayed on for days, until the Disc 1 last boss killed me. I was still unaware of memory cards at the time, you see. Aeris was literally my first crush. Cried a little when she died. I was 12/13, so you can gimme a break on that. AFter that game, my videogame passion was ignited, nullifing any potential of suicide, personal maiming, or anything terrible like that.

Chrono Cross-Virtually the only game at the time since FF7 to give me that "I can NOT stop playing this game" feeling. You all know exactly what I'm talking about. From Serge to Kid to Lynx and all the rest. Not to mention the music. Oh, man, the music. And the mid-game twist? Let me stop before I get carried away.

WWF Smackdown! 2-Got the most playtime out of all of my PS games. Just to fight and fight and fight some more. Four man battle royals still get my blood up. Didn't hurt that I was the best out of all my friends and cousins. Still the king. Yeah.

Xenogears-Excellent storyline, nearly perfect battle system, and little animated cutscenes. Yeah. Still pop it in from time to time, just to check everyone out. Citan still owns. Period.

Wild Arms 2-Hands down, the best Disc 1 story I've ever played, barring games previously stated. Ashley has a ridiculous name, but he's a bad dude. The rest...I don't remember their names at the moment, so... Doesn't mean I didn't like them, though. Goes a little downhill in Disc 2, but the absolutely perfect musical score keeps you rolling until the end.

And now, the PS2 games. I'm running out of room. Oh, dear. I hope you don't mind if I go a little over. I've cut out the Kingdom Hearts series, as it's completely obvious how excellent both of them were.

Grandia 2-Storyline was excellent, battle system is really underappreciated, and music isn't bad at all. I remember being really surprised that a banged up case that I paid like 10, 12 bucks for was actually this good. Loved it to pieces.

Okami-Surprised this one isn't up here. Unique combat system, the Japanese theming, and you're a flippin' god? Perfect. Can't tell you how sad I am the sequel isn't going to happen, with Clover gone and all.

Shadow Hearts-The others in the series toned down the horror elements in favor of wackiness. I don't approve. Yuri is the best smartmouthed anti-hero ever. Why? Unlike the vast majority of the rest, he actually backs it up with cases of butt-whooping. Plus, Alice, Zhuzhen, Margarete, and Keith? Yes, please. I just love the theming. Horror RPG.

Xenosaga(complete series)-Everything I have to say about these has been said much better by Grave_Digger. Here's the quote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grave_Digger
Xenosaga Series (PS2): "Wow." That was all I could say when I first played Episode 1. I couldn't believe how great this game was. It was an epic experience in every way. These games had one of the deepest and complex stories I have ever experienced. I found none of the characters bland or uninteresting as they all grew and changed over the course of the three games. The gameplay changed in each Episode which helped the series stay fresh for me. Sure the cutscene to gameplay ratio in the first game was completely unbalanced but it was a "problem" (it really wasn't one to me) that was fixed in the next two games. Episode 3 is one of the few games that have made me cry. I loved every bit of this series and really hope they bring it back.
I know, I know. I'm pretty much out of space. But, the XBOX ones need mentioning too.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords-Played it through three times. Straight. That should say it all.

Jade Empire-Kung Fu KOTOR. Yes, please. Don't be confused, it's not quite the same. But that's why I bought it. For 8 bucks in the bargain bin. GO ME! And truthfully, I liked the story a bit better than KOTOR 2. Guess I'm just a sucker for faux Chinese storytelling.

Half-Life 2-Better than any Halo. Period. Seriously, it's the best single player FPS of all time. The best part? Gordon never speaks. Not once. But everyone else does. So, in a very real seeming way, you ARE Gordon Freeman. I really like that move on their part.

Again, I must apologize. I know there's more than ten, but I couldn't leave any of them out. I'm really sorry.

Quote Eternal Phoenix edited at 06:47 PM (December 14th, 2009) (Reason: Xenogears, not Xenosaga. Forgot to bold, too.)

A LITTLE TRUTH
(not necessarily updated regularly or at all)

"People don't watch TV for something different, they want to see the same thing they've always seen and have everything be exactly the way it was when it's over. Clever things make people feel stupid, and unexpected things make them feel scared." ~Philip J.Fry
iLove the 90s Club
ORIOLES Offseason was decent enough. Could even contend, maybe. RAVENS 8-8. No playoffs. A season full of fail. Yay.
Upcoming Mafia games: Oh, I dunno. Kind of tired of the whole scene, you know.

Old December 14th, 2009, 07:03 PM   #18: [Thread] [Post]
Spiner202

NFL Pick 'Em Soldier of Fortune Trophy Post Potentate M&R Playlist Jukebox News Editor 

Veteran Member
Ex-Moderator
Premium Member

Silent Assassin
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Shaun- View Post
I love the RC series, but I always thought the first was best, for small reasons like how you can charge for both rides and park entry on the first, but you couldnt on 2. Strange.
But there's no cash machine in the first one

The only major beef about the charging in the second game is that when you only charge the park fees you never make any money. I always charge for rides in custom scenarios.

But in the first one when you charge for both it's easier to make money. I had over $100,000 on one of the early parks in the first game.

Old December 17th, 2009, 02:41 PM   #19: [Thread] [Post]
Beha
Who Wants a Hug?

GameWinners Year End Award Winner Forums Traveler Award-You-Can't-Refuse Vanilla Pitchfork Maltese Vulture 

Veteran Member
Ex-Moderator
Premium Member
News Editor

Silent Assassin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Phoenix View Post
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords-Played it through three times. Straight. That should say it all.
Paled in comparison to KOTOR 1, IMO. Way too rushed.

Old December 17th, 2009, 02:43 PM   #20: [Thread] [Post]
Woozie
Veteran Member

Post Potentate Mod Mario Blue Moon 

Ex-Moderator

Hero of Kvatch
I barley made it past the opening sequence of KOTOR2. It was like the same exact story again. I had just gotten off a ship, and then I was on Taris.

THIS IS MY POST

Old December 17th, 2009, 03:39 PM   #21: [Thread] [Post]
Eternal Phoenix

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Guitar Hero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beha View Post
Paled in comparison to KOTOR 1, IMO. Way too rushed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
I barley made it past the opening sequence of KOTOR2. It was like the same exact story again. I had just gotten off a ship, and then I was on Taris.
People keep saying that. I'd like to get the first one. But I CAN'T FIND IT. That's how it is.

A LITTLE TRUTH

"People don't watch TV for something different, they want to see the same thing they've always seen and have everything be exactly the way it was when it's over. Clever things make people feel stupid, and unexpected things make them feel scared." ~Philip J.Fry
iLove the 90s Club
ORIOLES Offseason was decent enough. Could even contend, maybe. RAVENS 8-8. No playoffs. A season full of fail. Yay.

Old December 17th, 2009, 04:03 PM   #22: [Thread] [Post]
Warp
Loves Everything

Wolf Wear Decade Award Forums Traveler News Editor Mod Mario 

Veteran Member
Ex-Moderator
News Editor

+2 vs. Chaotic Evil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Phoenix
Shadow Hearts-The others in the series toned down the horror elements in favor of wackiness. I don't approve. Yuri is the best smartmouthed anti-hero ever. Why? Unlike the vast majority of the rest, he actually backs it up with cases of butt-whooping. Plus, Alice, Zhuzhen, Margarete, and Keith? Yes, please. I just love the theming. Horror RPG.
You, sir, are awesome. Shadow Hearts and Shadow Hearts: Covenant are, by far, the most enjoyable RPGs I've played in the last decade; Yuri Hyuga has been my favorite video game character since I first laid eyes on him back in 2002. I agree with the lessening of the horror aspects being disappointing (although, each and every Doll House was utterly creepy regardless), but I didn't mind that so much until From the New World. The only thing I really liked about that game was Frank, because Frank is amazing.

I bawled like a baby when Yuri's story came to its conclusion. Johnny couldn't begin to compete with that.

I'm never going to get around to properly writing this out, apparently, so the other games from my list are:

Digimon World (PSX) - It was awesome. Would love to see a remake.

Mystical Ninja starring Goemon (N64) - I didn't understand half of what happened, I just know whatever it was was addicting. Great music to boot.

Pokémon Red (GB) - I lost many weeks to this series, starting with this game and ending with Crystal. Haven't touched the series since, with the sole exception of a halfhearted playthrough of Diamond. Wasn't impressed.

Banjo-Kazooie (N64) - I rented this game all the time, just wandering around collecting things. Never did find everything.

Dig Dug & Galaga - Some of my very first memories (not gaming memories; memories in general) involve these two games. I still play them every so often even now. Not a fan of the various spin-offs or "sequels" to either.

Super Smash TV (SNES) - Most of second grade revolved around homework and this game, and I never even made it past Scarface until many years later (2006, I believe). Possibly the most addicting top-down shooter I've ever played, and the theme song is always getting stuck in my head.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64) - I'm sure you guys have covered all of the reasons why this game is awesome. The two main things that always come to mind, for me, is how I didn't quite understand that gaming physics had evolved enough for me to catch a wooden stick on fire in the Great Deku Tree, thus causing me to be stuck for two days, while memories of the Water Temple will forever haunt me.

Mega Man X (SNES) & Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (GEN) & Sonic Adventure (DC) - Great games in their own right, which I played to death. The latter less so, obviously, but still enough to kind of qualify. They're also the reason I started listening to music; the former two with just plain background midis, the latter (with the aid of Crush 40) with "actual" rock music.

Kingdom Hearts (PS2) - Put 200+ hours into this game, which takes ~25 hours to complete. Literally did and found everything, and then proceeded to spend the next four years theorizing what would happen with the story next together with other fans, here on GameWinners and elsewhere. Kingdom Hearts II killed every bit of my interest in the series in less than 30 hours.

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (PS2) - Mindless fun at its best. I don't think I understand most of the story even now, but any excuse to have cyborg ninjas, harrier jets, rocket launchers and 3-story tall robots in the same game with the ability to endlessly screw with guards is alright in my book. The Substance "expansion" provided a fair bit of fun with the VR Missions, too.

Star Ocean: Till the End of Time (PS2) & Tales of the Abyss (PS2) & Tales of Vesperia (X360) - The battle systems in these games have cost me hundreds of hours of my life. SO3's characters and general plot were fairly weak (I am, however, one of the only people I know that liked the plot twist), whereas Luke fon Fabre and Yuri Lowell are two of my favorite characters behind Yuri Hyuga. TotA's Jade Curtiss is also awesome, possibly for all the wrong reasons.

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 (PS2) - As of the end of next year, this will be the only RPG I will have played through three times. Well worth it both times so far, and the portable edition's optional female protagonist and character changes should make it work a third time as well. Huge pacing problems in the early going, but I'm a patient person and this game ultimately delivered.

Quote Warp edited at 04:06 PM (December 17th, 2009)
  Deleting the bookmark. Take care, and thanks for the memories.  

Old December 17th, 2009, 04:45 PM   #23: [Thread] [Post]
Eternal Phoenix

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Guitar Hero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
You, sir, are awesome. Shadow Hearts and Shadow Hearts: Covenant are, by far, the most enjoyable RPGs I've played in the last decade; Yuri Hyuga has been my favorite video game character since I first laid eyes on him back in 2002. I agree with the lessening of the horror aspects being disappointing (although, each and every Doll House was utterly creepy regardless), but I didn't mind that so much until From the New World. The only thing I really liked about that game was Frank, because Frank is amazing.

I bawled like a baby when Yuri's story came to its conclusion. Johnny couldn't begin to compete with that.
I didn't cry, but man did it hurt. I've got nothing against Covenant, I just think the first one is better. Much more dark and creepy in every aspect. From the New World made me angry. Neither Johnny nor Shania is in any way even an adequate replacement for Yuri. And Frank was an buffoon. Ricardo is my man. Latin honor for life. And that guitar...
Quote:
Digimon World (PSX) - It was awesome. Would love to see a remake.
Umm...DW2 and 3? Hello?

A LITTLE TRUTH

iLove the 90s Club

Old December 17th, 2009, 05:08 PM   #24: [Thread] [Post]
Warp
Loves Everything

Veteran Member
Ex-Moderator
News Editor

+2 vs. Chaotic Evil
Quote:
And Frank was an buffoon. Ricardo is my man. Latin honor for life. And that guitar...
Ricardo was pretty cool -- loved the many surprises with his guitar case -- but Frank's complete ineptitude wins out for me. Everything that man touches or gets involved with becomes awesome, starting with the patented "invisible" jutsu and the secret art of opening doors, to being at the mercy of a miniature pirate's torture. Actually, any time the game allowed you to choose a character to, uh, "sacrifice", I chose Frank because I knew it would be hilarious.

Quote:
Umm...DW2 and 3? Hello?
The problem with Digimon World is that each one is completely different. The original was more of a pet sim than an RPG, which I really liked, DW2 was a decent turn-based RPG with a three monster team, DW3 was a one-on-one monster RPG that was fairly mediocre, and I've never touched DW4 or the various Digimon World/Digimon Story games on the DS.

Quote Warp edited at 05:09 PM (December 17th, 2009)

Old December 17th, 2009, 05:18 PM   #25: [Thread] [Post]
Woozie
Veteran Member

Ex-Moderator

Hero of Kvatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Phoenix View Post
People keep saying that. I'd like to get the first one. But I CAN'T FIND IT. That's how it is.
Its on Steam for $10.

THIS IS MY POST

Old December 17th, 2009, 05:27 PM   #26: [Thread] [Post]
Eternal Phoenix

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Guitar Hero
Quote:
Ricardo was pretty cool -- loved the many surprises with his guitar case -- but Frank's complete ineptitude wins out for me. Everything that man touches or gets involved with becomes awesome, starting with the patented "invisible" jutsu and the secret art of opening doors, to being at the mercy of a miniature pirate's torture. Actually, any time the game allowed you to choose a character to, uh, "sacrifice", I chose Frank because I knew it would be hilarious.
Ah. To each his own, I suppose.
Quote:
The problem with Digimon World is that each one is completely different. The original was more of a pet sim than an RPG, which I really liked, DW2 was a decent turn-based RPG with a three monster team, DW3 was a one-on-one monster RPG that was fairly mediocre, and I've never touched DW4 or the various Digimon World/Digimon Story games on the DS.
I see. How about the Monster Rancher series? As far as I know, it's the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
Its on Steam for $10.
I can't do that. This isn't my computer, and I'm not online anywhere else.

A LITTLE TRUTH

iLove the 90s Club

Old December 17th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #27: [Thread] [Post]
Woozie
Veteran Member

Ex-Moderator

Hero of Kvatch
I'm going to stick this, seems to be getting a lot of good feedback.

Stuck

THIS IS MY POST

Old December 17th, 2009, 06:25 PM   #28: [Thread] [Post]
Warp
Loves Everything

Veteran Member
Ex-Moderator
News Editor

+2 vs. Chaotic Evil
Quote:
I see. How about the Monster Rancher series? As far as I know, it's the same.
I don't have too much experience with Monster Rancher to know how varied the games are, but I've spent a reasonable amount of time with Monster Rancher 3 on the PS2. That game's similar to Digimon World insofar that you're raising a monster companion and tending to its needs (resting, eating, etc.), but the entire thing just left rather lifeless. Whereas with Digimon World you were free to wander the Digital World alongside your partner, defeating evil and gathering Digimon to boost File City's various faculties, Monster Rancher 3 was just you breeding monsters to compete in tournaments. I don't think you ever saw "you" in the game, and it was mostly a stationary first-person camera/screen watching your little monster train and/or battle with little or no direct interaction with it.

Decent game, but not really the sort of experience I'd like to revisit.

Old December 24th, 2009, 03:47 PM   #29: [Thread] [Post]
Dean
Liberal-tarian

Grammar Nazi Wolf Wear The Champ My Way Al Sighting 

Premium Member

M-M-M-Monster Kill!
Since it won't be compiled into a big poll at the end, I guess I'll try to explain my top ten. This is definitely in no order, and while some of these are my favorite games of all time, I wouldn't expect them to be on a list of the greatest of all time or anything:

Super Mario World - I felt like this was the crowning achievement of the Mario franchise up to this point, and few games since have come close to its entertaining gameplay and characters. I honestly feel like it's the greatest SNES game of all time, and will probably remain atop my list of favorite games forever.

Metal Gear Solid - While the games that followed expanded gameplay a great deal and introduced some great characters and mini-games, the original had a special quality to it that just made it an amazing gaming experience. The villains were all unique and compelling, the story was intriguing and surprising, and the gameplay itself was intense and action-packed, including a lot of historic movie-esque moments.

Metal Gear Solid 2 - Just like the first, they continued to expand gameplay while maintaining a certain level of excitement and intrigue. I didn't enjoy the second as much as the first, and I wasn't a big fan of Raiden (though he comes back as a total bad ass in MGS4, evidently) but it was a great game nonetheless and remains a favorite.

Metal Gear Solid 3- Implementing camouflage and allowing us to play as Big Boss was an incredible thing to do. The prequel to Metal Gear had some incredible advancements in storyline and gameplay, and the characters were enthralling.

Syphon Filter - One of my favorite franchises that I hope continues to enjoy success on the new Sony platforms, I really enjoyed playing as Gabe Logan to try to stop a group of terrorists from spreading a deadly virus. It was more of a senseless action game than a spy game like Metal Gear Solid, but it managed to weave explosive shooting with story and was a damn impressive game with really interesting levels and villains.

Mario Kart - I'm talking about the SNES version, though later incarnations were also great. One of the first racing games I played, and it was a hell of a game with a lot of fun levels, and it will always have a special place in my heart as it's one of the main games my sister and I played while growing up.

Syphon Filter 2 - Expanded gameplay options, two-player mode, and insane levels made this as exciting as the first one.

Smackdown! vs. Raw 2: Know Your Role - As far as wrestling games goes, this was one of the greatest of all time for me. The endless career mode, create-a-PPV mode, create-a-taunt, and the gameplay for its time were all great. While N64 players had No Mercy, I was laying the Smackdown on PS1.

Syphon Filter 3 - A slight letdown from the previous installments, the game was still full of intense action and introduced a lot of new weapons and elements to gameplay that kept me interested. The two player mode had been improved upon a lot as well and overall was a great gaming experience and I just love this franchise.

Devil May Cry - One of the greatest action games of all time for me, I wish I would have bought it instead of just borrowing it from my friends. I suppose I could go buy it now... hmm... Anyway, DMC2 was a bit of a letdown and only took a few hours to finish each disc, but the original DMC with Dante slaying demons was one of the most bad ass experiences I had on the PS2.

I'm scared to get close and I hate being alone.
I long for that feeling to not feel at all.
The higher I get, the lower I'll sink.
I can't drown my demons; they know how to swim.

Old December 24th, 2009, 04:11 PM   #30: [Thread] [Post]
-Shaun-
Banned

Premium Member
Perma-Banned

Press Start
That makes a second person to list Smackdown 2 as their favorate. I dont know why, but the second just didnt appeal to me like the first. It felt a bit samey.
But one thing I always remember about Smackdown 2 is the loading screens. A certain Trish Stratus loading screen in particular.. heh.

Post New Thread Reply

GameWinners.com Forums > General Game Discussion > Video Game Bashing