The web's largest cheats, codes, and game help site  
CHEATS | NEWS | FORUMS | REVIEWS | VIDEOS | SEARCH 

Go Back   GameWinners.com Forums > Social Interaction > Support & Help > Guys & Gals

Post New Thread Reply    

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 19th, 2009, 06:11 PM   #1: [Thread] [Post]
InverseInsanity

Press Start
Some help coming up with a dating site username that will actually work please ^_^

I keep signing up for dating sites and I have never gotten any feedback from anyone except from scammers and whatnot. My username was Samue1 on most and some other generic usernames like that on others. A few of my friends said that it wasn't my description, it was my username but they said they can't really help me with that.

So I was hoping you all could help me come up with one that can actually attract an at least half-way decent girl for a long-term relationship rather than a crap girl for a short-term like I always wind up getting.

I love to write, I'm going to college (going to try to get a masters in counseling and psychology), I'm very affectionate and caring in a relationship, laid back but I know when to be serious, I'm playful but I've been told I'm very mature for my age by many people.

Its frustrating because I can write poetry, I can write books, but I cannot come up with a decent username that actually states who I am and helps attract a real relationship with a decent girl. Any help please?

Old May 19th, 2009, 06:21 PM   #2: [Thread] [Post]
Constantine
i am francois

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Hero of Kvatch
Something sincere and sweet.

Your name is Sam i'm guessing?

You'll wanna avoid stuff like "Big Boy Sam," and "Sam the man"

Honestly, just look through others' profiles for ideas. If someone's got a lot of hits, just use a similar idea.

And as you close your eyes for the Big Sleep,
I hope you think of me, yeah.

Old May 19th, 2009, 06:21 PM   #3: [Thread] [Post]
Vamp
Premium Member

Forums Traveler Mod Tag 

Veteran Member
Premium Member

+2 vs. Chaotic Evil
Umm, your username is not going to attract or repel women... It doesn't matter. Your picture and profile information is all you need to worry about.

Just don't use something stupid like BigDong69

BTW, have you tried contacting women rather than waiting for them to contact you?

Quote Vamp edited at 06:23 PM (May 19th, 2009)

Old May 19th, 2009, 06:31 PM   #4: [Thread] [Post]
InverseInsanity

Press Start
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vamp View Post
Umm, your username is not going to attract or repel women... It doesn't matter. Your picture and profile information is all you need to worry about.

BTW, have you tried contacting women rather than waiting for them to contact you?
Yeah, I've e-mailed a lot of them. Said hi to them, introduced myself, and asked them questions about stuff in their profile but I never get anything back.

Old May 19th, 2009, 06:41 PM   #5: [Thread] [Post]
Coleman

EPIC POST! GameWinners Year End Award Winner Al Sighting Jamie Wannabe Admin Mario 

Administrator
Premium Member

Achievement Unlocked
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vamp View Post

That is WRONG. Wrong wrong WRONG. In dating, relationships, work, life, people will make instant judgments based on the first thing they see. In the real world that's looks, on the internet, it can be something so subtle as a username. There are so many things you can gauge from a username.

Lack of capitalization? Maybe they're unintelligent, or just lazy.
A bunch of numbers at the end? They could be uncreative.

They can include words that relate to habits or hobbies that one might be turned off by.

I'm not saying he's ever going to find a soul mate, or lose a relationship based soley on his screen name. But there is a lot to learn from something so simple as a username when that's the first thing that someone has to go on.

Stick to your real name, or as close to that as you can get. Try to avoid the "leet-speak" replacement (like substituting a 4 for an A in Sam). If they allow puncutation, try a period or an exclamation point, maybe a last initial. Try to come up with something simple and basic, and force them to look at your profile and read your biography before they pass judgment. The first thing a woman is going to do is scroll through a list of usernames of potential suitors, you need a name that's going to force her to see what's there before she can make any assumptions on you. It doesn't need to "draw attention", if she's at a dating website, she's clearly looking, so she doesn't need to be sold like an advertisement.

Just something basic and simple.

Old May 19th, 2009, 06:47 PM   #6: [Thread] [Post]
Gloom-is-good
Punching Babies

Veteran Member

Horadric Cube
I agree with Coleman on that. First impressions, whether it be in real life or on the internet, are important if you want to meet people. If the first thing they see is a username, then you may want to avoid the "leet-speak." Good grammar is also good! I reject people's Friend Requests solely on that.

Quote/Conversation of the Week
Not guaranteed to be updated regularly.
~*~*~*~
Adventures with the permanent roommate
You... Ate the last piece of cheesecake... Without me! Whhhyyyy??
I'm sorry! I had to make room in the fridge!
Oh okay... Wait... What did you put in the fridge that you had to make room for?
Umm...
You're lucky you're cute... Otherwise this relationship would be over.

Old May 19th, 2009, 06:51 PM   #7: [Thread] [Post]
InverseInsanity

Press Start
What about those stupid titles and headlines and stuff like that. Every site I come across, entering one is mandatory.

I put in some of my headlines "Vision without action is a daydream, action without vision is a nightmare--Japanese Proverb"
Should I just stick with that or use something else?

Old May 19th, 2009, 10:12 PM   #8: [Thread] [Post]
Schteve
Timothy Dolan is so straight

GameWinners Year End Award Winner Jamie Wannabe Thing Yang FWG Host EPIC POST! 

Veteran Member
Ex-Moderator
Premium Member

Achievement Unlocked
Only someone who is crazy or OCD like Cole is going to care about your usernname. Seriously.

How about this. Would you want to be with someone who judges you solely by your online handle?

Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back into the same box.

Old May 20th, 2009, 05:38 AM   #9: [Thread] [Post]
Vamp
Premium Member

Forums Traveler Mod Tag 

Veteran Member
Premium Member

+2 vs. Chaotic Evil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleman View Post
There are so many things you can gauge from a username.

Lack of capitalization? Maybe they're unintelligent, or just lazy.
A bunch of numbers at the end? They could be uncreative.
I understand what you're saying, but this is not the way women on dating sites think. They're going to look at your picture first, and if you're hot, they'll be interested. Simple as that.

Old May 20th, 2009, 08:16 PM   #10: [Thread] [Post]
xxSlipknotxx
When a Chemist Dies, Barium

Veteran Member

Horadric Cube
Usually your picture is right next to the username so that is what the focus will generally be on. But Cole's right to a certain extent like not putting the #1 in for the "l." And I'd say lose the proverb, you want some pizzazz not to seem like a dude who has realized that internet dating is his last resort to meet girls.

And do what Vamp says: come up with a good line (you're apparently a writer, should be easy) and just start bombarding anyone who looks remotely interesting with it. Low success rate, but you should be able to get at least a couple dates a week, and usually one of them is worth hanging with for longer than that
  She's getting wet like holy water, touched by the lord, but she wants it harder. Your faith, f*ck your faith. I'm looking for some temples I can penetrate. Its time temptation gets its way, lays you down and sets things straight.

xxSlipknotxx and blitz, the ambiguously gay duo of Giants fans.

Love your friends, die laughing

Old May 20th, 2009, 08:23 PM   #11: [Thread] [Post]
SilverTempest
Just another guy

Veteran Member

Fairy-in-a-Bottle
I prefer to meet women in the flesh and talk to them from there.

Old May 27th, 2009, 07:23 AM   #12: [Thread] [Post]
Lady Gaga
Chase you down until you love me...

Steam Player Al Sighting 

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Horadric Cube
Dating websites are a terrible place to meet woman for the sole reason that the majority of the people who go onto dating websites are looking for sex. A better way to find people would be social networking websites. They can be used for the same thing but they aren't generally littered with sex craving people simply because it's not it's main focus. Hell, I'm sure there's a couple that have gotten together through gamewinners.

Of course, in person is always the best way, though if your shy like me, social networking websites are the place to go.

Ate my heart, he a-a-ate my heart. He ate my heart, he a-a-ate my heart out.
Formerly known as 1101.

Old May 27th, 2009, 04:22 PM   #13: [Thread] [Post]
Schteve
Timothy Dolan is so straight

GameWinners Year End Award Winner Jamie Wannabe Thing Yang FWG Host EPIC POST! 

Veteran Member
Ex-Moderator
Premium Member

Achievement Unlocked
Quote:
Originally Posted by XIV View Post
Dating websites are a terrible place to meet woman for the sole reason that the majority of the people who go onto dating websites are looking for sex.
Not really, considering there are more than enough websites for people just looking for sex.

That said, sometimes the sites exist for both purposes!

Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back into the same box.

Old May 28th, 2009, 12:50 PM   #14: [Thread] [Post]
Gloom-is-good
Punching Babies

Veteran Member

Horadric Cube
That's true. Especially sites that have been established such as eHarmony. Of course, I can't really say that for sure since I've never used any of those sites.

Quote/Conversation of the Week
Not guaranteed to be updated regularly.
~*~*~*~
Adventures with the permanent roommate
You... Ate the last piece of cheesecake... Without me! Whhhyyyy??
I'm sorry! I had to make room in the fridge!
Oh okay... Wait... What did you put in the fridge that you had to make room for?
Umm...
You're lucky you're cute... Otherwise this relationship would be over.

Old May 28th, 2009, 05:53 PM   #15: [Thread] [Post]
RedHotSun
Still here...

From the Grave Decade Award 

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Horadric Cube
It's not as much about your username as it is to actually get women to respond to you.

I recommend "Hey, you look kinda cool, but before I'd let you into my social circle I need to ask you a couple of questions. 1) can you cook? 2) are you rich?"

It sounds dumb, but it will make them laugh and they get all kinds of generic stuff thrown at them over those messages all the time. You have to catch their eye.

Post New Thread Reply

GameWinners.com Forums > Social Interaction > Support & Help > Guys & Gals