The web's largest cheats, codes, and game help site  
CHEATS | NEWS | FORUMS | REVIEWS | VIDEOS | SEARCH 

Go Back   GameWinners.com Forums > Forum Help > The Welcome Room

Post New Thread Reply

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 6th, 2009, 11:09 PM   #1: [Thread] [Post]
Apollo
Omnipotent Moron

GameWinners Year End Award Winner Al Sighting Post Potentate News Editor Admin Mario 

Administrator
Premium Member
News Editor

Hero of Kvatch
Exclamation Newcomers, please read this first (FAQ)!

Note: This is 'in production,' with more questions and answers to follow. This will be updated as new questions emerge, so keep checking back!

Hello and welcome to the GameWinners Forums, new member(s)!

I'm sure, as you make your first posts on these forums, that you'll have questions that you would like answered regarding the forums themselves. What this thread aims to achieve is to answer the most frequent questions asked in a manner that's both helpful and constructive, rather than asking you to wait for a response. This is, by no means, a way of asking you not to start an introduction thread to ask questions and introduce yourself! Quite the contrary, this forum would become quite the desolate place if that were to become the case. All that this thread aims to do is to help to answer some of the most prominent questions so that we can help you better acclimate to the GameWinners Forums!

A quick note before we get into it -- Please be sure that you have familiarized yourself with the Welcome Room Forum Ruleset, primarily the 'verbatim rules,' so that you understand our general idea of acceptable behavior. This is just a standard precautionary message, as our forum rules are quite different from your average forums.

Now, to the questions!

(NOTE: The source for these answers, and the links provided beneath each answer, are drawn from the forums FAQ, located HERE. If there's anything that goes untouched in this FAQ, please read that FAQ!)

Questions:

1.) How do I get a Signature, Avatar or Custom Title?
2.) How do I become a Moderator?
3.) What is reputation and how do I get it?
4.) How do I make my post bold, italic, etc?
5.) Do you have a forum for...?

Answers:

1.) How do I get a Signature, Avatar or Custom Title?

-Signatures are available to a member once they have completed two weeks of registration. You will be able to use anything inside your signature, so long as it conforms to the GameWinners Forums Ruleset, as well as the signature guidelines. Should your signature violate either the forum ruleset or the signature guidelines, it will be removed by a member of the Upper Staff. After three signature removals ("sig nukes"), you will lose the ability to use a signature for one year.

-Avatars are currently only available to members that purchase a Premium Membership, as well as members of the Upper Staff (Super Moderators and Administrators). Due to the server constraints that GameWinners faces, we cannot allow all members of the forums to use an avatar, as it would severely limit the capabilities of the GameWinners servers.

-Custom Titles are available to all members that have been registered for one year, or those that have accrued 10,000 posts (whichever comes first). Moderators are also given the right to use a Custom Title regardless of their duration with the forums.

(Source: Why I can't make a sig? / GameWinners Signature Guidelines / How do I get an avatar? / Custom Titles: What are they?)

2.) How do I become a Moderator?

-The minimum requirements to become a Moderator are:
  • Be at least 16 years old or mature enough that no one bothers to ask how old you are.
  • Have a post count of at least 300.
  • Be active and helpful in the forum you wish to moderate
  • Obtain the approval of all current co-mods of the forum.

However, each forum has a limit of four (4) moderators, and in instances where a forum has four moderators, you will have to wait for a moderator to drop their spot before you can be considered as a replacement. Also, it's best not to ask to be a moderator, as the adage goes "don't call us, we'll call you."

-GameWinners recently instituted a new Junior Moderators program. Under the guidelines of this program, members wishing to become a moderator may now, at the behest of the moderator(s) of the forum you wish to moderate, become a Junior Moderator. This position will expose you to most of the 'grunt work' capabilities that Moderators currently perform, and you will mentor under the tutelage of that forum's moderator(s) to learn all you would need to know in order to become a full-fledged moderator. When your mentor(s) feel you are well enough equipped, the Junior Moderator is put forward for a Moderator Vote, where the mod populace decides whether or not the candidate is capable of becoming a full-fledged moderator. Candidates that pass are promoted to the rank of Moderator with all of the privileges and access to the hidden Moderators forums. Those that don't pass remain as Junior Moderators until they receive their next vote. Junior Moderators also have the option of resigning from the position if they so chose, and can be removed by their mentor(s) if it is decided that they are not progressing at an acceptable rate, or are not "mod material."

(Source: How do I become a Moderator?)

3.) What is reputation and how do I get it?

-Reputation (or "rep") is a fun system designed to send approval or disapproval messages to members based on the content of their posts. The system has no actual bearing within the context of the forums, though some people do tend to glorify their reputation for one reason or another. You are not officially judged at any time based on your reputation score, it is simply a fun system. You cannot be promoted or banned from these forums because of your reputation score. Each member starts with a "0" reputation, with the rank of "Press Start," and this will change based on the amount of positive or negative reputation points you earn. The ranks range from "-25,600 Alderaan" to "1,024,000 Thank you Mario, but..." which you can earn over time. You can view reputation comments that people have sent you, as well as comments that you have sent to other people, in your User CP. Each member is allowed to "rep" up to 10 people per-day; however, you can only rep the same person after you have given rep to 20 other people. The amount of rep that you can give to people is indicated by your "Influence." This increases with the length of registration, as well as your total reputation received. The more you have, the more you give.

(Source: What is this reputation thing?)

4.) How do I make my post bold, italic, etc?

-Through the use of vBCodes, posts can be as colourful as you want them to be. vBCodes allow you to make your font bolded or italicized, as well as allowing you to post hidden text or even make full-fledged tables inside of your posts. Keep in mind that when using vBCodes, there is always an opening and a closing tag. When you use a tag, always make sure that you have closed the tag before making your post. You can see a complete list of GameWinners' vBCodes, including their respective tags, by clicking HERE.

-GameWinners also offers the ability to customize your font on a more permanent basis, without the need to use tags in every post. By going to the "Edit Options" link inside your User CP and scrolling to the bottom, you will find options for fonts, colours, bold, italicized and so forth so that each post you make shows up in a certain style without the need for tags in every post.

(Source: How do I find the codes that make my posts bold, italic, etc?)

5.) Do you have a forum for...?

-Yes, we probably do! To be more precise, you can see a list of all of the forums that GameWinners has to offer by visiting the GameWinners Forum Directory and scrolling through the list. The list is maintained by the Moderator(s) of the Welcome Room, and kept in the same order as you would find them in by scrolling through the forums yourself. If you happen to find an error within the directory, please report it to the Moderator(s) of the Welcome Room.

(Source: GameWinners Forum Directory)

[More to follow]

Thanks for reading this FAQ, new member(s)! I hope it has been insightful to you, and helped to answer some of your questions. Now that you've read our introductory FAQ, feel free to make your introductory thread! You'll find that there are quite a few members of this forum that are available to greet you and answer any questions you have! We're always happy to see a new face here (or even a returning face, as the case may be)!

TeamStats
Dallas StarsGreat Season!
Bolton WanderersWelcome to the Macron Stadium
Currently...Loading...

Former mod of | Current mod of | Super Moderator | Administrator | Winner Of

Old April 21st, 2009, 09:37 PM   #2: [Thread] [Post]
angel2122
New User

New User

Press Start
ahhhh

Old April 21st, 2009, 10:26 PM   #3: [Thread] [Post]
MidnightBlue
Oh! Fore! I mean five! I mean fire!

Forums Traveler From the Grave 

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Horadric Cube
Hi there, angel2122! Welcome to the forums. Feel free to go ahead and post your own welcome thread if you would like. I know this information listed here seems like a lot, but it's not too bad once you get used to it. You don't have to worry about having it all memorized or anything before you post. Just make sure you do know the actual forum rules.

Old July 23rd, 2009, 05:38 PM   #4: [Thread] [Post]
EdwardCullen101

Press Start
i have a question thats kinnda off topic

hi i have a question regarding a game

its about harry potter and the goblet of fire where do i go to discuss game questions?

Quote EdwardCullen101 edited at 05:38 PM (July 23rd, 2009) (Reason: Multi-Post)

Old July 23rd, 2009, 07:58 PM   #5: [Thread] [Post]
Apollo
Omnipotent Moron

GameWinners Year End Award Winner Al Sighting Post Potentate News Editor Admin Mario 

Administrator
Premium Member
News Editor

Hero of Kvatch
I see you've already found your way to the Harry Potter forum, and that would indeed be the place to get help for the Goblet of Fire .

If you find yourself stuck looking for a forum, be sure to look over the GameWinners Directory, which lists every forum that GameWinners has to offer

TeamStats
Currently...Loading...

Old August 17th, 2009, 12:35 PM   #6: [Thread] [Post]
rentalgaming
New User

New User

Press Start
Smile

Man, this thread really helped me out! Thanks:monkey

Old October 18th, 2009, 12:32 PM   #7: [Thread] [Post]
jhendiii

Press Start
This thread is helpful.

Old October 9th, 2010, 01:16 PM   #8: [Thread] [Post]
Lord Arceus
New User

New User

Press Start
I am looking for a cheat code request forum, I'm new here and need help on a particular section of .Hack//G.U. vol. 3//Redemption. cant find that area off hand.

Old October 9th, 2010, 02:35 PM   #9: [Thread] [Post]
Apollo
Omnipotent Moron

Administrator
Premium Member
News Editor

Hero of Kvatch
Hi Lord Arceus,

You could try PlayStation 2 or General Game Help and Discussion. Also, you could try the GameShark, Action Replay and Codebreaker forum

Quote Apollo edited at 02:36 PM (October 9th, 2010)

TeamStats
Currently...Loading...

Old October 11th, 2010, 02:34 PM   #10: [Thread] [Post]
Lord Arceus
New User

New User

Press Start
Thanks be unto ye.

Old July 28th, 2011, 11:24 PM   #11: [Thread] [Post]