Old January 6th, 2007, 08:13 AM   #1: [Thread] [Post]
Velocity
dr/dt

Forums Traveler 

Veteran Member
Ex-Moderator

Silent Assassin
Ohio State vs. Florida

It's the BCS National Championship Game. That's all there is to it. You can't say much else.

Ohio State
  • Well... where else to start. Troy Smith. The Heisman Trophy winner will be playing in his final game as an Ohio State Buckeye. And he'll finally be able to play for a national title. Troy's maturation has been a great story to witness, and the culmination of that is this. This season, Troy threw for 2507 yards, 30 touchdowns, and just 5 interceptions. Oh and he completed 67% of his passes. This guy is the definition of an impact player.
  • Now for the vaunted Buckeye receiving corps. Let's see... Ted Ginn, Anthony Gonzalez, Brian Robiskie, Roy Hall, even Brian Hartline have all contributed to the Buckeye passing attack. The biggest asset this group has is speed. Ted Ginn? World-class sprinter. Literally (almost made the Olympics). Anthony Gonzalez and Brian Robiskie have complemented Ginn well, and Roy Hall has come on as of late to be another weapon for Troy Smith to use. Great speed. And when all of these guys are on the field... look out. Things can get ugly, especially when you've got Troy Smith slinging the ball all over the place.
  • The two running backs that Ohio State features are also quality players. Antonio Pittman and Chris "Beanie" Wells have combined for 1738 rushing yards and 20 touchdowns. And Beanie is just a freshman! Their two signature touchdowns have to be the runs against Michigan. Pittman is - contrary to his size - more of the inside, bang-it-in-there runner, and Wells is the speed around the outside. Antonio Pittman has been considered by some to be the overlooked piece to the Ohio State offense, but his 1100+ yards this year prove that he should not be overlooked at all.
  • The offensive line for Ohio State is anchored by Doug Datish, an All-Big Ten center. They've protected well for the run and the pass all year. When all of them are in sync, they leave Troy Smith with plenty of time to throw the ball and a plethora of holes through which Wells and Pittman can slice and dice for yards. They're a force, all right.
  • The defensive line holds the only two returning starters from the defensive unit of a year ago. Quinn Pitcock and Jay Richardson anchor the line that has also produced Vernon Gholston, a fiery sophomore that has given offensive lines headaches. Unfortunately, no place really gives stats for defensive players, so I can't really show the impact this line has had, but believe me. They've forced bad decisions and turnovers all year.
  • When we look at the Ohio State linebacking corps, we have to start with one guy. James Laurinaitis (took me two times to get his name right). A sophomore, he has really blossomed this season and has become a disruptive defender. I'm thinking he looks to be the next A.J. Hawk. He's flown around the field all year and made plays. Fumbles, interceptions, sacks - he's done it all. Marcus Freeman, donning the #1, has also come on strong this season, but Laurinaitis is the spark in this area of the defense.
  • The defensive secondary was one of the biggest question marks coming into the season, but it's safe to say they've done their job and shushed the critics. Rarely beat deep, this squad has a lot of speed. And this secondary features a great couple turnover-makers in Antonio Smith and Malcolm Jenkins. Beware these two.
  • And now for special teams! Aaron Pettrey and Ryan Pretorius have performed well enough this season. Pettrey is still young, but he's grown and is much more consistent with his kicks. On the return side... Ted Ginn. 'Nuff said.

Florida
  • Quarterback... hm. Well, there's Chris Leak and Tim Tebow. A platoon, if you will. Leak is a four-year starter that only now has really matured and come into his own as a player and leader. He's been helped by Tebow, of course. Leak is a great passer, with 2729 yards, 22 touchdowns, and a 62.9% completion percentage on the season. Tim Tebow, conversely, is the team's leading rusher outside of DeShawn Wynn. He's got 7 touchdowns and 430 yards, in addition to 357 passing yards and 4 touchdowns. Urban Meyer has made this platoon system work... but it's never won a championship before.
  • The running back position has had its question marks, especially with DeShawn Wynn injured for a portion of the season. But he's healed now and ready to go. He has 630 yards and 5 touchdowns and averages 5.1 yards per carry. Aside from Wynn, there aren't really any other running backs worth mentioning here. The rest of their playmakers in the running game are Tebow and Harvin (coming up soon).
  • The wide receivers for Florida have been a bright spot for this offense that hasn't had a whole lot to write home about this season. Dallas Baker and Andre Caldwell lead this group of talented, fast receivers (897 yards, 9 TDs and 571 yards, 5 TDs respectively). Then there's Percy Harvin, who has done it all this season. He's small but AMAZINGLY fast. Only realized about midway through the season, he's torn it up the past few games. 367 receiving yards, 406 rushing yards, and 4 touchdowns... yeah he's good.
  • The offensive line for Florida is solid, but can be overwhelmed from time to time on the pass rush. This leads to sacks and knockdowns and hits, which do not bode well for Chris Leak's performance - he seems to get rattled after a couple big hits. In the rushing game, however - particularly the power game - this line is at its best. They do well against nearly every team, and the results are an average of nearly 160 rushing yards per game.
  • The Florida D-line is anchored by Jarvis Moss, and the main memory I have of him is getting up high enough to block the field goal at the end of the South Carolina game. He can play. He's a presence that must be attended to in the pass game, or else he'll tear up the offensive line and the quarterback. Look out for his height, too... he can deflect passes as well as any other lineman in the country.
  • The Florida linebacking corps... I haven't heard a lot about them. Obviously they've performed well, however, because a team can't be championship material without a good linebacking corps. They have the speed and the tenacity to keep running backs from breaking free too often from what I've seen of them (mainly the SEC championship game), and can hold down the best backs from gaining yards.
  • Florida's defensive backs are capable of covering any receivers in the nation. They're speedy, but on occasion they do get burned. Of course, that happens to any defensive secondary, but it's still a point to consider. They create plenty of interceptions and don't hesitate to come up in run support. The speed is what will be their greatest asset in this game - they'll need it, OSU's receiving corps is one of (if not the) fastest groups they'll face this year. Reggie Nelson, however, is a game-changer and game-breaker. His speed and size will be critical in breaking up those long passes to Ginn, Gonzalez and Robiskie. He's an amazing safety.
  • Special teams... well... Christ Hetland is 4/13 on field goals this year. Doesn't bode well in a close game. Otherwise, the special teams unit is very sound, especially the defensive side, where numerous kicks and punts have been blocked this year by the Gators. Their team speed, even on the interior, is key to this and may pose a hazard if/when Ohio State needs to punt the ball away.

Keys To The Game

Ohio State
  • Ohio State must be able to run the ball. We already know they can pass. Oh yes, they can pass. But to be successful, they have to have a healthy (and effective) dose of Antonio Pittman and Chris Wells.
  • The Buckeyes have to stay disciplined on defense. Don't let Urban Meyer's trick plays and unique system get the best of them... it's necessary for this, because one end-around to Percy Harvin could translate to a momentum-swinging touchdown.
  • Pressure Chris Leak. He gets rattled in the face of pressure and is more prone (but not significantly so) to turnovers. Either way... it is necessary to blitz Leak early to keep him from establishing a rhythm with his receivers. If that happens, then more long-yardage situations will come to fruition and Meyer won't be able to resort to Tim Tebow's running and trick plays to move the ball.
  • In a close game, keeping Florida from scoring touchdowns is critical. Hetland, Florida's kicker, is only 4/13 on the season. His longest is 33 yards. That's kicking from the 23-yard-line, folks, and that means Florida was on the 16- or 17-yard-line at the time. Clamp down near the red zone and they should be okay.
  • On a final note... Jim Tressel must outduel Urban Meyer. Both of these guys coach well in the big game. Tressel, however, has experience with games like this, and must not allow Meyer to get the best of him. Likewise, Ohio State can't get too full-headed. I know this'll be closer than people think, but do they? It will be up to Tressel and Troy Smith to keep everyones' heads on straight.

Florida
  • Florida must move the ball. They can't afford to punt much, or else Ohio State will just keep on scoring. Likewise, they must force turnovers. Ohio State is ninth in the nation in turnover ratio. Florida must create more turnovers than they commit in order to have a chance in this game.
  • Gotta score touchdowns. Hetland is inconsistent at best as a field goal kicker. That and Ohio State surely will be doing the same.
  • The Gators must pressure Troy Smith with a spy. If they decide to do so, they will have to trust the defensive backs in one-on-one coverage as the line and linebackers force Troy Smith to make decisions before he wants to do so. And if he gets out of the pocket, the spy hopefully can make a play to prevent Smith from getting upfield quickly and making plays with his legs. He can do that... he just hasn't this year.
  • Combat field noise. Glendale is like Ohio State's second home and there will be a definite advantage for Ohio State in terms of fanbase.

No matter which way you look at it, this is going to be closer than a lot of people think.

Ohio State: 35
Florida: 31

Velocity edited at 08:17 PM (January 7th, 2007)

For after all what is man in nature? A center point between nothing and all, and infinitely far from understanding either.

Old January 6th, 2007, 10:29 AM   #2: [Thread] [Post]
Scruffy
I'm on Break

NFL Pick 'Em Decade Award 

Veteran Member

Fairy-in-a-Bottle
Ohio State is clearly the best team in the country and Florida's game is just barely above average. Leak will shine but it will be far away from being enough.

Ohio St: 34
Florida: 24

Rawr.

Old January 6th, 2007, 12:44 PM   #3: [Thread] [Post]
Harris
Veteran Member

EPIC POST! Post Potentate College Football Pick 'Em 

Veteran Member

+2 vs. Chaotic Evil
I think Florida is better than a lot of people think, they just struggled throughout the year. They're gonna have to show up and play thier best game of the year Monday, or it's gonna get ugly real fast.

Ohio State - 35
Florida - 28

Old January 6th, 2007, 01:04 PM   #4: [Thread] [Post]
Captain Haddock

Fairy-in-a-Bottle
...Meh.
I've been a buckeyes supporter for a while, but all that aside.
No way Florida can even keep it close.

Ohio State - 31
Florida - 14

Old January 6th, 2007, 01:05 PM   #5: [Thread] [Post]
Fightingest Jester
Professional Member

Decade Award 

Ex-Moderator

Fairy-in-a-Bottle
Florida lost to Auburn.
Auburn should have lost to Nebraska who is very mediocre this year.

Ohio State has this in the bag.

I can't have sex with your personality.
And I can't put my penis in your college degree.
And I can't shove my fist in your childhood dreams.
So why you sharing all this information with me?

Old January 6th, 2007, 03:02 PM   #6: [Thread] [Post]
HeedTheOmen13
Banned

Perma-Banned

Magikarp
God this is why I stopped posting in the sports forums ..... damn buckeyes homerism ..... do any of y'all watch football or just believe what the media tell you? outside of receiver, Florida is easily faster than Ohio State at every position..... Florida will win this game and I will again laugh at the overhypedness of the Big Ten

Old January 6th, 2007, 04:43 PM   #7: [Thread] [Post]
smashbro14
Premium Member

Sweetroller From the Grave Decade Award Post Potentate 

Veteran Member
Premium Member

+2 vs. Chaotic Evil
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeedTheOmen13
God this is why I stopped posting in the sports forums ..... damn buckeyes homerism ..... do any of y'all watch football or just believe what the media tell you? outside of receiver, Florida is easily faster than Ohio State at every position..... Florida will win this game and I will again laugh at the overhypedness of the Big Ten
You HAVE to be joking. Yeah, none of us watch football.

OSU by at least 17 points. Florida will be out of this early. The Big 10 will be 3-0 vs. the overrated SEC teams in bowls.

Old January 6th, 2007, 06:39 PM   #8: [Thread] [Post]
The Piano Man
Is DONE HIS BLOG UPDATE.

Veteran Member

Press Start
Yeah definitely OSU in a landslide. That one win against a good team really shows OSU is THE team to beat. UF didnt beat ANYONE. SEC having 8 bowl teams, pssh.

OSU- 362 (If Tressel pulls Troy Smith by the third
UF- -8 (UF will be so bad, they will enbody the only team they truly beat this year, Western Carolina.)

Find out why the above post is idiotic

Last Update: October 16th. Haha, b*tches didn't think I would ever do the update, but I posted that sh*t. Mutha uckas, go read that. It took me a couple months. It's the least you could do.

"Male nipples are merely spoilers for men."- Credit to Twenty Major blog.

Old January 6th, 2007, 07:58 PM   #9: [Thread] [Post]
Scruffy
I'm on Break

NFL Pick 'Em Decade Award 

Veteran Member

Fairy-in-a-Bottle
Quote:
The Colts are faster at almost every position than everybody in the NFL but does that make them the best defense? Speed don't mean much if you can't do anything with it, so before you go and criticize everyone else here, make a point better than Florida is faster.

Rawr.

Old January 6th, 2007, 10:03 PM   #10: [Thread] [Post]
Velocity
dr/dt

Forums Traveler 

Veteran Member
Ex-Moderator

Silent Assassin
Quote:
God this is why I stopped posting in the sports forums
We're all really sorry you left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Piano Man
Yeah definitely OSU in a landslide. That one win against a good team really shows OSU is THE team to beat. UF didnt beat ANYONE. SEC having 8 bowl teams, pssh.

OSU- 362 (If Tressel pulls Troy Smith by the third
UF- -8 (UF will be so bad, they will enbody the only team they truly beat this year, Western Carolina.)
I almost laughed. Almost. Because the dripping sarcasm was so obvious that it made your post completely unfunny.

If there is anyone here that can be a homer and a realist, it's me. And hey, I'm the first to admit that this game is going to be a lot closer than people think. My edge goes to Ohio State because of one player - Troy Smith.

No, not because he won the Heisman.
No, not because I'm a native Ohioan and a Buckeye fan.
No, not because it only makes sense that the key player be him.

It's because Troy Smith will not let Ohio State lose as long as he is in uniform. He'll do whatever it takes to win. You can't coach that. You can't learn that. It doesn't come through the mail as a birthday present from Aunt Betty. It's woven in his competitive fabric. That look in his eye in the big games? That's it.

That's why his best performances are in the big ones. And that's why Ohio State wins.

For after all what is man in nature? A center point between nothing and all, and infinitely far from understanding either.

Old January 6th, 2007, 10:47 PM   #11: [Thread] [Post]
Quagmire
UofL Cardinals, NY Yankees, NY Giants

Post Potentate Lose the Loose! 

Veteran Member

Horadric Cube
Ohio St - 35
Florida - 24

Troy Smith is unbelievable and always comes up big...or at least doesnt lose his team the game when playing in big games.

Old January 6th, 2007, 11:50 PM   #12: [Thread] [Post]
The Piano Man
Is DONE HIS BLOG UPDATE.

Veteran Member

Press Start
Yeah Velo, I didn't know how far to go with it. THe internet is impossible to convey sarcasm with.

Troy Smith ain't Vince Young. And, Troy Smith HAS lost. To Penn State last year, if i remember, in a close one.

I am a homer to, (obviously) but the fact is the Gators shouldn't be blown out. They're too good.

Last Update: October 16th. Haha, b*tches didn't think I would ever do the update, but I posted that sh*t. Mutha uckas, go read that. It took me a couple months. It's the least you could do.

Old January 6th, 2007, 11:52 PM   #13: [Thread] [Post]
Velocity
dr/dt

Forums Traveler 

Veteran Member
Ex-Moderator

Silent Assassin
He's not Vince Young in terms of size. I'll agree with you there. But he's just like him in almost every other sense... except that delivery.

On another tangent, look at the revamped first post.

Velocity edited at 12:17 AM (January 7th, 2007)

Old January 7th, 2007, 07:17 AM   #14: [Thread] [Post]
Quagmire
UofL Cardinals, NY Yankees, NY Giants

Post Potentate Lose the Loose! 

Veteran Member

Horadric Cube
Quote:
Troy Smith ain't Vince Young. And, Troy Smith HAS lost.
Did I ever say he has not lost a game? No...i just said he plays well in the games and his play doesnt cost his team the game...u know like throwing and no TDs. He had an okay game against Penn St...but wasnt down right horrible where his bad play was the big factor why they lost

Old January 7th, 2007, 04:59 PM   #15: [Thread] [Post]
The Piano Man
Is DONE HIS BLOG UPDATE.

Veteran Member

Press Start
I'm not sure I agree with everything in that big post, but there is one thing that you need to correct. Earl Everette and Brandon Siler make up one of the best linebacking corps in the nation. You can look up their stats, and you will see they have great linebackers.

Post New Thread Closed Thread

GameWinners.com Forums > Social Interaction > Sports > Sports