The web's largest cheats, codes, and game help site  
CHEATS | NEWS | FORUMS | REVIEWS | VIDEOS | SEARCH 

Go Back   GameWinners.com Forums > Consoles & Technology > Console Combat

Post New Thread Reply    

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 22nd, 2012, 08:26 AM   #16: [Thread] [Post]
Rabid
NEED MOAR DEE-PEE-ESS

Vault Dweller Wasteland Survivor Forums Traveler Friend O' Klowny Lose the Loose! 

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Horadric Cube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Operative #19 View Post
I have no idea what kind of market Sony was expecting to pick up. There was next to no marketing for it, nothing to draw in customers. Tgey should have just attached the ability to use it as a phone. A phone that has the ability to play full retail games? I could but that. But as-is it just isn't going to happen.
They did that already, and it was a massive failure. Xperia Play. Look it up.

Mankind's true moral test,
is fundamental test
which lies deeply buried from view,
consists of its attitude towards those who are at its mercy.
And in this respect mankind has suffered a fundamental debacle,
a debacle so fundamental that all others stem from it.

Old April 22nd, 2012, 09:28 AM   #17: [Thread] [Post]
Nicodemus
Sausage King of Chicago

Drew Something Guess the Picture Bindle of Excellence Post Potentate EPIC POST! 

Premium Member

Guitar Hero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid View Post
They did that already, and it was a massive failure. Xperia Play. Look it up.
Xperia play was an android phone with a controller built in... there is a colossal difference between that and what OP19 was suggesting. It had no full retail games it just had the same apps that other android phones had.

Old April 22nd, 2012, 09:46 AM   #18: [Thread] [Post]
Northern Lights
Perfection '11

WINdependent College Football Pick 'Em Christmas in July! Wasteland Survivor The Lone Wanderer 

Premium Member
News Editor

M-M-M-Monster Kill!
What about the N-Gage? Anybody remember that? It wasn't Sony, but it's further proof that people don't seem to want a handheld console that you can call people with.

"There's no easy way to tell you this, so I just brought some pictures. Your husband's the blackened, crispy one."

Moderating: The E-fed Epicenter | Call of Duty | Fallout | Smart Phones | Competitive & Co-Operative Gaming | Final Fantasy | Food & Health

RIP Paul Wickens AKA Don Paulo
RIP Michael Burton AKA Mike!
RIP Shaun Pleima AKA Beha

The TD Acknowledgement Club

Old April 22nd, 2012, 10:04 AM   #19: [Thread] [Post]
Operative #19
Kept ya waiting, huh?

Journeyer Al Sighting 

Veteran Member
Premium Member

+2 vs. Chaotic Evil
I think if it was marketed correctly, which is something that Sony has consistently failed to do, it would sell just fine. Apparently people don't want a handheld console at all, unless it's Nintendo. How many people outside of people tuned into gaming culture know that the Vita?

Quote Operative #19 edited at 11:26 AM (April 22nd, 2012)

Old April 22nd, 2012, 10:42 AM   #20: [Thread] [Post]
Rabid
NEED MOAR DEE-PEE-ESS

Vault Dweller Wasteland Survivor Forums Traveler Friend O' Klowny Lose the Loose! 

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Horadric Cube
Slim to none. I hardly even notice the vita. at Gamestop. PSP's are more prominently displayed than Vitas

Mankind's true moral test,
is fundamental test
which lies deeply buried from view,
consists of its attitude towards those who are at its mercy.
And in this respect mankind has suffered a fundamental debacle,
a debacle so fundamental that all others stem from it.

Old April 22nd, 2012, 04:11 PM   #21: [Thread] [Post]
Warp
Loves Everything

Wolf Wear Decade Award Forums Traveler News Editor Mod Mario 

Veteran Member
Ex-Moderator
News Editor

+2 vs. Chaotic Evil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Lights
What about the N-Gage? Anybody remember that? It wasn't Sony, but it's further proof that people don't seem to want a handheld console that you can call people with.
N-Gage is more an indication that people don't want terrible products, I should think.

And Nico's entirely right about the Xperia Play. The device had a lot of potential, but Sony's in-fighting just completely wrecked that thing. As did the lack of PlayStation Suite, which at this point is still something that's borderline vaporware. If Xperia Play could have accessed and played anything on the PlayStation Network, without having to (re)buy licenses specifically for that device, I'm sure it would have found a foothold of some sort. In fact, that may be Sony's only real chance of ever lessening Nintendo's deathgrip on the core handheld market. A lot of people bought PSPs specifically so they could play PSX games on the go. Throw in phone features, reasonably priced Apps, and a decent portable web browser? I definitely think there's a significant market for something like that.
  Now Playing: Final Fantasy XI

Recently Cleared: X-Men: The Arcade Game (03.26)
Soon-ish: ...

Old April 22nd, 2012, 04:21 PM   #22: [Thread] [Post]
Puffy Ghost

Grammar Nazi 

Horadric Cube
Quote:
And Nico's entirely right about the Xperia Play. The device had a lot of potential, but Sony's in-fighting just completely wrecked that thing. As did the lack of PlayStation Suite, which at this point is still something that's borderline vaporware. If Xperia Play could have accessed and played anything on the PlayStation Network, without having to (re)buy licenses specifically for that device, I'm sure it would have found a foothold of some sort. In fact, that may be Sony's only real chance of ever lessening Nintendo's deathgrip on the core handheld market. A lot of people bought PSPs specifically so they could play PSX games on the go. Throw in phone features, reasonably priced Apps, and a decent portable web browser? I definitely think there's a significant market for something like that.
Yeah, but now you're describing a device that actually makes sense, and would have a feasible consumer base.

Sony doesn't make those kind of devices.

Samsung does.

Old April 22nd, 2012, 09:04 PM   #23: [Thread] [Post]
Nicodemus
Sausage King of Chicago

Drew Something Guess the Picture Bindle of Excellence Post Potentate EPIC POST! 

Premium Member

Guitar Hero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
N-Gage is more an indication that people don't want terrible products, I should think.
One huge problem with the N-Gage is one that really doesn't exist today. Nokia famously made great hardware but were infamous for clunkiest, ****tiest, most convoluted operating systems. That problem wouldn't exist today because of Android. People like Sony, Motorola, Samsung, etc no longer need to try to come up with an intuitive, easy to use OS because there's already a very popular one out there that can be adapted to their device.

Also Nokia was not a gaming company and did not have the clout that Sony would have should they have decided to make the Vita a device like what is being discussed.

Plus you had to hold the narrow end the phone against your head and it made it look like you were trying to shove a taco into your ear. Also you had to remove the battery to change the game.

In short, there are a lot of reasons why the Ngage failed and Xperia Play could have easily been more successful.. when i think about it, XP might actually be worse from a gaming standpoint since it really has no dedicated games for it.

Old April 22nd, 2012, 11:08 PM   #24: [Thread] [Post]
Puffy Ghost

Grammar Nazi 

Horadric Cube
Quote:
when i think about it, XP might actually be worse from a gaming standpoint since it really has no dedicated games for it.
This. When the Xperia Play was announced I was dumbfounded that there also wasn't an announcement of launch titles.

Old May 6th, 2012, 02:10 PM   #25: [Thread] [Post]
Quagmire
UofL Cardinals, NY Yankees, NY Giants

Post Potentate Lose the Loose! 

Veteran Member

Horadric Cube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
This is my idea and I think it would sell tons, nintendo needs to partner with say samsung or apple (yeah, I know, the two biggest set in their ways companies working together, yeah not happening, but a boy can dream), make a phone that is about the size of an iphone, probably a little bigger, touch screen, looks like a normal phone, BUT you can slide out the bottom reveling a psp go esq two joystick nubs, a dpad, 4 bottons and 2 side/shoulder buttons.

Ideally I would love to see a system like above then sony, ms, and nintendo allow certain games to downloaded their own app to the portable system or transfered over if you already have them on psn, xbox love arcade or the virtual console and you can play them on the go or at home.

So to sum up, a small device that is a normal smart phone, but you can slide the bottom for a game pad and then have the big 3 have apps for their games and you can buy and download them to your system/transfer them if you already bought them. I think a system like this would work amazingly and I would totally get it if it had support and was a good phone, with a good battery life

Old May 6th, 2012, 02:37 PM   #26: [Thread] [Post]
Sekhmet
Pagan and Proud

Post Potentate Decade Award 

Veteran Member
Premium Member

+2 vs. Chaotic Evil
PSP Vita at $300 with only a few games... not worth it...

Old May 6th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #27: [Thread] [Post]
Warp
Loves Everything

Wolf Wear Decade Award Forums Traveler News Editor Mod Mario 

Veteran Member
Ex-Moderator
News Editor

+2 vs. Chaotic Evil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire
So to sum up, a small device that is a normal smart phone, but you can slide the bottom for a game pad and then have the big 3 have apps for their games and you can buy and download them to your system/transfer them if you already bought them.
Just on the basis that each company wants direct control of their IPs and would see no benefit to losing a percentage of their profits (Apple's App Store takes, what, 30%?), that's quite the pipe dream. We'd have to get the "one console to rule them all" before even considering some sort of unified handheld. And the biggest obstacles blocking a unified console are the licensing and royalties; none of the big three would willingly give that up. Unless they wound up like Sega.

Microsoft didn't seem to have a problem allowing some of their IPs (Halo, Blue Dragon) appear on the DS. The Halo game was canceled and this was before Windows Phone, though.

Quote Warp edited at 04:59 PM (May 6th, 2012)
  Now Playing: Final Fantasy XI

Recently Cleared: X-Men: The Arcade Game (03.26)
Soon-ish: ...

Post New Thread Reply

GameWinners.com Forums > Consoles & Technology > Console Combat