The web's largest cheats, codes, and game help site  
CHEATS | NEWS | FORUMS | REVIEWS | VIDEOS | SEARCH 

Go Back   GameWinners.com Forums > Social Interaction > Debate & Discussion > Current Events & General Discussion

Post New Thread Reply

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 30th, 2012, 10:28 PM   #1: [Thread] [Post]
Nimbus
[INSERT TITLE HERE]

Resident Weasel Steam Player Journeyer Sweetroller Friend O' Klowny 

Veteran Member
Premium Member
News Editor

Horadric Cube
Babies Are Getting Addicted To Drugs The Day They Are Born

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBS Article
Disturbing new research says the number of U.S. babies born with signs of opiate drug withdrawal has tripled in a decade because of a surge in pregnant women's use of legal and illegal narcotics, including Vicodin, OxyContin and heroin, researchers say. It is the first national study of the problem.

The number of newborns with withdrawal symptoms increased from a little more than 1 per 1,000 babies sent home from the hospital in 2000 to more than 3 per 1,000 in 2009, the study found. More than 13,000 U.S. infants were affected in 2009, the researchers estimated.
Full Article - Not a bad read, for what it's worth.

Now, the mother described in the article admits to abusing drugs early on in her pregnancy, but I still think this is a problem. Newborn babies are being shipped off to intensive care on day 1 of their lives, because drugs (some prescribed specifically for pregnant women) are actually causing withdrawals in their bodies. I didn't even know that this sort of thing happened, but it seems like it's becoming a common occurrence.

Old April 30th, 2012, 11:44 PM   #2: [Thread] [Post]
Sekhmet
Pagan and Proud

Post Potentate Decade Award 

Veteran Member
Premium Member

+2 vs. Chaotic Evil
Because doctors are just legal drug dealers.

Old May 1st, 2012, 08:52 AM   #3: [Thread] [Post]
Gorge
is robbing a gun store with a knife.

Decade Award Steam Player Al Sighting Lose the Loose! From the Grave 

Veteran Member

Horadric Cube
I kinda skimmed some of the article, but are they saying the babies are becoming addicted to the drugs prescribed to their mothers? Or is it just a bunch of stupid ladies abusing drugs while pregnant?

Old May 1st, 2012, 09:26 AM   #4: [Thread] [Post]
Rabid
NEED MOAR DEE-PEE-ESS

Vault Dweller Wasteland Survivor Forums Traveler Friend O' Klowny Lose the Loose! 

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Horadric Cube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorge View Post
I kinda skimmed some of the article, but are they saying the babies are becoming addicted to the drugs prescribed to their mothers? Or is it just a bunch of stupid ladies abusing drugs while pregnant?
Both. The latter is more of a problem, especially concerning the health of the baby. If the mother is seeing their OB on a regular basis and is completely honest about the prescriptions they are on, doctors SHOULD be taking them off of any narcotic pain medication they are on and replacing them with a non-narcotic pain medication if there is still a need to be on pain medication at all. There are very clear guidelines for physicians at all healthcare facilities pertaining to what medications are acceptable for pregnancies. Obviously there are exceptions, but these guidelines are federally mandated. If a doctor would prescribe a narcotic pain medication or other addictive medication to a pregnant woman it would most certainly open them up to malpractice lawsuits and could put their license to practice medicine at risk.

When I've seen cases such as this, it's usually a mother who either couldn't kick a drug habit or who didn't care to try. That said, IV drug use and prescription medication abuse probably aren't as common in this area as they are in other parts of the country. Usually it's a mother smoking (tobacco or marijuana), consuming alcohol, or rarely meth during her pregnancy up here. I can't say I've seen a lot of positive opiate drug screens on pregnant ladies up here.

Mankind's true moral test,
is fundamental test
which lies deeply buried from view,
consists of its attitude towards those who are at its mercy.
And in this respect mankind has suffered a fundamental debacle,
a debacle so fundamental that all others stem from it.

Old May 1st, 2012, 02:48 PM   #5: [Thread] [Post]
Darth-gamer
Open Water Diver. Blub Blub.

Soldier of Fortune Trophy Forums Traveler 

Veteran Member
Premium Member

+2 vs. Chaotic Evil
No wonder those shifty rugrats sit in...high seats.

Old May 2nd, 2012, 04:49 AM   #6: [Thread] [Post]
Argh
Never Serious

Veteran Member

Fairy-in-a-Bottle
How's that 0.3% compare to legitimate diseases and birth defects?

Old May 2nd, 2012, 08:51 AM   #7: [Thread] [Post]
Vicious!
VAGINAL

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Fairy-in-a-Bottle
This has been going on for a while. I guess the article's point is the increase of it. Doctors generally aren't the cause of this (unless the mother is on painkillers for a legit reason and even then they'd discuss the risks to the baby). This is mainly the result of drug abusers, and considering genes can even play a part in addiction, I'm guessing long term these kids would develop addictions later in their life as well. No, I'm not saying they'd be born addicted to heroin either way. These kids are suffering.

The other scary thing is the dangers of an all natural pregnancy, complete with kiddy pool birthing at home. So even on the entire opposite end of the spectrum there are dangers. And yet it's been so trendy lately to see mothers use articles like this and warp them into excuses for justifying home births or denying epidural or c-section when beneficial. No one should fear legit medical care or legit medicine is my point. Drug abuse though is not legit medicine.

"If taking all your apples to market knowing that they are full of holes, rotten to the core, you still sell them and people want more, is that wrong?"

thats the way i like it

Old May 2nd, 2012, 09:00 AM   #8: [Thread] [Post]
Rabid
NEED MOAR DEE-PEE-ESS

Vault Dweller Wasteland Survivor Forums Traveler Friend O' Klowny Lose the Loose! 

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Horadric Cube
Yeah, I really find it hard to put blame on doctors in most cases. You have to understand that they spend most of their day being lied to, and that at some point you have to blame the person. A doctor is only as good as a patient is honest.

Mankind's true moral test,
is fundamental test
which lies deeply buried from view,
consists of its attitude towards those who are at its mercy.
And in this respect mankind has suffered a fundamental debacle,
a debacle so fundamental that all others stem from it.

Old May 2nd, 2012, 09:43 AM   #9: [Thread] [Post]
Vicious!
VAGINAL

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Fairy-in-a-Bottle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid View Post
Yeah, I really find it hard to put blame on doctors in most cases. You have to understand that they spend most of their day being lied to, and that at some point you have to blame the person. A doctor is only as good as a patient is honest.
I wouldn't say we're so perfect that we're beyond another Thalidomide case but, I do completely agree with you nonetheless. Doctors are surely not the cause in this case. And like I said, I wouldn't fear modern medicine. By all means get a second opinion from another doctor if your gut feeling says he's a quack or doesn't care; I've done this a lot of times in my life. I've dealt with bad doctors. But with review sites online, and general feedback you can pretty safe today. It's a relationship for sure and you do have to have both ends hold true.

Never lie to your own doctor or lawyer, or anyone on your side who is trying to help. It will backfire.

"If taking all your apples to market knowing that they are full of holes, rotten to the core, you still sell them and people want more, is that wrong?"

thats the way i like it

Post New Thread Reply

GameWinners.com Forums > Social Interaction > Debate & Discussion > Current Events & General Discussion