The web's largest cheats, codes, and game help site  
CHEATS | NEWS | FORUMS | REVIEWS | VIDEOS | SEARCH 

Go Back   GameWinners.com Forums > Focused Game Discussion > Role Playing > Fallout Series

Post New Thread Reply

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 28th, 2012, 05:52 PM   #1: [Thread] [Post]
Northern Lights
Perfection '11

WINdependent College Football Pick 'Em Christmas in July! Wasteland Survivor The Lone Wanderer 

Premium Member
News Editor

M-M-M-Monster Kill!
Controversial Call: NV > 3 (Potential Spoilers)

I'm approaching the end of NV. I've been to Yes Man and he's asked if I'm ready for the Battle of Hoover Dam. I've stalled him for a while, as I want to get some achievements, finish side quests, etc.

Thus far, though, I've enjoyed NV more than 3. I'm a huge fan of the setting, with the strip making an excellent central hub, and I just like the whole atmosphere better.

Abuse me, if you will.

"There's no easy way to tell you this, so I just brought some pictures. Your husband's the blackened, crispy one."

Moderating: The E-fed Epicenter | Call of Duty | Fallout | Smart Phones | Competitive & Co-Operative Gaming | Final Fantasy | Food & Health

RIP Paul Wickens AKA Don Paulo
RIP Michael Burton AKA Mike!
RIP Shaun Pleima AKA Beha

The TD Acknowledgement Club

Old April 28th, 2012, 06:25 PM   #2: [Thread] [Post]
Nimbus
[INSERT TITLE HERE]

Resident Weasel Steam Player Journeyer Sweetroller Friend O' Klowny 

Veteran Member
Premium Member
News Editor

Horadric Cube
I have very mixed opinions on the subject as well. When NV first came out, I think I posted somewhere that I thought it was better than 3. After beating NV multiple times, and then replaying Fallout 3, I can't really come to a conclusion. Fallout 3 feels a little more diverse, but NV has all the new features, gambling, and aiming with sights (a big deal for me).

I think both games are good, and I will definitely be revisiting them both this summer when I have the time.

Old April 28th, 2012, 06:45 PM   #3: [Thread] [Post]
Operative #19
Kept ya waiting, huh?

Journeyer Al Sighting 

Veteran Member
Premium Member

+2 vs. Chaotic Evil
I enjoy the satire and story of New Vegas a lot more than 3. Not to say I didn't enjoy 3 but New Vegas was just far and away more enjoyable. Though, I think I enjoy the Capitol Wasteland a bit more than the Mojave Wasteland. All in all, I agree about New Vegas, though I still haven't beaten it.

Old April 28th, 2012, 07:16 PM   #4: [Thread] [Post]
Northern Lights
Perfection '11

WINdependent College Football Pick 'Em Christmas in July! Wasteland Survivor The Lone Wanderer 

Premium Member
News Editor

M-M-M-Monster Kill!
Aiming down sights is a welcome addition, yes.

"There's no easy way to tell you this, so I just brought some pictures. Your husband's the blackened, crispy one."

Moderating: The E-fed Epicenter | Call of Duty | Fallout | Smart Phones | Competitive & Co-Operative Gaming | Final Fantasy | Food & Health

Old April 28th, 2012, 07:55 PM   #5: [Thread] [Post]
Grave_Digger
The Hottest Thing Since Sliced Bread

Band of the Red Hand Journeyer 

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Horadric Cube
I loved all the things NV brought to the table to make things more interesting. I never finished the game despite only having a couple of main quests left. I believe when I left off I was all set to take over New Vegas for myself. My problems with the game were the gambling (only being able to win a set amount of money was dumb), the glitches (oh so many), the size of the city (when a game is called New Vegas, I expect to be a bit bigger and have more going for it), the radio (it just wasn't entertaining like GNR was in 3), and there was just something about the Mojave Wasteland that never felt right (I loved the Capitol Wasteland). I should go back and finish the game, just don't feel any immediate need to.

Old April 28th, 2012, 08:21 PM   #6: [Thread] [Post]
Zio The Abyss
IT AIN'T ME

Hall of Famer The Champ My Way Wasteland Survivor Post Potentate 

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Horadric Cube
I never liked the true iron sights, personally. Then again, I don't play FPS or TPS or... much other than RPGs, gg. So that feature I just... didn't really "get". I tried it with several different types of guns, but I always wound up gravitating back to the standard reticle.

I did prefer New Vegas, I think. For one thing, for how expansive and HUGE the Fallout games are -- a lot like Elder Scrolls -- Fallout 3 was 95% exploring and 5% quests. It's so damn easy to knock out every single sidequest in the game because there simply weren't that many. Plus a huge chunk of them were incredibly immoral or evil, and some of those were the only quests that even connected to a certain area. On the other hand, New Vegas has FOUR different main questlines, and if you don't side with the Legion (or wait to do it, I guess) the NCR has so many sidequests it takes a lot longer to get bored. Plus I liked the idea of having real towns, factions and personalities, really.

On the flipside, to me, New Vegas was a lot more linear. I basically always found myself moving through Primm and Nipton and Novac to New Vegas, buying some stuff, and THEN branching out, while there's a lot more of a "go wherever you want" vibe, in my opinion, for Fallout 3. Plus while I realize from talking to people who played Fallout 1 and 2 that 3 was kind of a disaster as far as lore went, and didn't feel at all like it was the same series, to me I preferred the less "western" feel of 3 and the far more apocalyptic one. Moving through the train tunnels, exploring the Capitol building and the Lincoln Memorial, plus exploring an actual wasteland... I'd say the exploration was much more enjoyable.

But still, I feel like the overall lore or atmosphere, the factions, and the goddamn QUESTS GALORE made New Vegas a better game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
You could sum it up as there's too many Indians

Old April 28th, 2012, 08:25 PM   #7: [Thread] [Post]
Northern Lights
Perfection '11

Premium Member
News Editor

M-M-M-Monster Kill!
I could literally count the number of times that I have been to Primm, Nipton and Novac on one hand, although I'm playing an easy difficulty.

Old April 28th, 2012, 10:46 PM   #8: [Thread] [Post]
Sigs Minock
Truth is a lie...

Veteran Member

Fairy-in-a-Bottle
i have yet to beat Fallout New Vegas, but i do enjoy a lot of it.

the best part is the multiple endings... Side with Mr. House, Take over the Strip yourself, or side with the Legion.
that said, in New Vegas, you can't go randomly exploring and accidentally just a few quests. i did that in FO3- i found my father before even getting to Rivet City.

Old April 29th, 2012, 09:31 AM   #9: [Thread] [Post]
Grave_Digger
The Hottest Thing Since Sliced Bread

Band of the Red Hand Journeyer 

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Horadric Cube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigs Minock View Post
in New Vegas, you can't go randomly exploring and accidentally just a few quests. i did that in FO3- i found my father before even getting to Rivet City.
Actually you can. After leaving the first town you can skip just about every beginning quest if you head straight to Vegas.

Old April 29th, 2012, 11:26 AM   #10: [Thread] [Post]
Shadowspirit
Marvel Fanboy

Grammar Nazi Artistic Area Arteest Forums Traveler Mod Mario Decade Award 

Ex-Moderator

Fairy-in-a-Bottle
I enjoyed the size and openness more of NV. I can't tell you how many times I posted up on a hill and killed everything in range with the AMR. Or sneaking to the top of the crane in the Deathclaw Quarry and destroying them all. The companions were infinitely better.

I do like the more sparsely populated Capitol Wasteland and just wondering upon a group of bandits or SuperMutants or Enclave. Never really had that in NV...you pretty much were told where everyone hangs out.

Plus, 3 has Three Dog, so it will always have an edge,

Rep Appreciated

R.I.P. Mike Burton
Death, Before Dishonor

Post New Thread Reply

GameWinners.com Forums > Focused Game Discussion > Role Playing > Fallout Series