The web's largest cheats, codes, and game help site  
CHEATS | NEWS | FORUMS | REVIEWS | VIDEOS | SEARCH 

Go Back   GameWinners.com Forums > Consoles & Technology > Past Generations > Past Generations > PlayStation

Post New Thread Reply

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 23rd, 2011, 04:53 AM   #1: [Thread] [Post]
Neo Matrix
Doesn't get the point of PIMI

My Way Al Sighting Forums Traveler Post Potentate SMod Mario 

Premium Member
News Editor

Guitar Hero
Revisiting the collection...

*Insert blurb about getting round to playing old games here*

So here's the list I have of PS1 games, where would you start first? My first instinct was just to go through them in strict alphabetical order, but that would just be taking away from some of the fun, wouldn't it?
  1. Alundra
  2. Bond 007: The World Is Not Enough
  3. Bond 007: Tomorrow Never Dies
  4. Bubble Bobble feat. Rainbow Islands
  5. Bug's Life
  6. Capcom vs SNK Pro
  7. Destruction Derby 2 (Although I'd probably replay the first game before it)
  8. Dino Crisis
  9. Driver (Played, didn't get far)
  10. Driver 2
  11. Fear Effect
  12. Fear Effect 2: Retro Helix
  13. Fighting Force
  14. Final Fantasy Origins (Final Fantasy I + II)
  15. Final Fantasy Anthologies (Final Fantasy IV + V) (Played about 1/3 of IV I think)
  16. Final Fantasy VI (Got about half way?)
  17. Final Fantasy VII (Made it to Sephiroth, never beat him)
  18. Final Fantasy VIII (Came back from space, didn't get any further)
  19. Final Fantasy IX
  20. G-Police
  21. Grand Theft Auto (Never finished)
  22. Grand Theft Auto: London
  23. Grand Theft Auto 2
  24. Heart of Darkness
  25. In Cold Blood
  26. Kensei Sacred Fist
  27. Lourve: The Final Curse
  28. Metal Gear Solid (Again, didn't finish the game)
  29. Metal Gear Solid Special Missions
  30. Oddworld Abe's Odyssee
  31. Parasite Eve II
  32. Resident Evil (Didn't finish)
  33. Ronin Blade
  34. Silent Hill
  35. Syphon Filter
  36. Syphon Filter 2
  37. Syphon Filter 3
  38. Tenchu: Stealth Assassins (Never finished)
  39. Tenchu 2
  40. The X-Files
  41. Tomb Raider (Never finished)
  42. Tomb Raider 2
  43. Tomb Raider 3
  44. Tomb Raider Chronicles
  45. Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation
  46. Vampire Hunter D

Quote Neo Matrix edited at 02:46 PM (January 23rd, 2011)

YOU for posting ALL THE THINGS!!!
How else are we going to get some more activity around here?

油断せずに行って、昨日の自分より強くなりなさい。平成25年6月19日
Playing: WWE '13 (PS3), Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations (PS3), Spec Ops: The Line (PS3), Dance Central (Xbox360)
Current Anime: Naruto Shippuden, Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's.
Now Playing... in New Forums: Under Construction... again

Old January 23rd, 2011, 05:17 AM   #2: [Thread] [Post]
Operative #19
Kept ya waiting, huh?

Journeyer Al Sighting 

Veteran Member
Premium Member

+2 vs. Chaotic Evil
You should find a game you haven't played rather than those you have.

But I would start with the RPGs being that they are the longest. I was not much a fan of Alundra, though, and who hasn't played the FFs to death? Perhaps try Parasite Eve 2?

Quote Operative #19 edited at 05:17 AM (January 23rd, 2011) (Reason: Multi-Post)

Old January 23rd, 2011, 02:48 PM   #3: [Thread] [Post]
Neo Matrix

Premium Member
News Editor

Guitar Hero
I agree with you about playing games I've yet to play, but there are a huge number of games I own that I haven't played after years of being in the cupboard. That actually includes the Final Fantasy series which were added to the collection when I couldn't play as much due to exams. Now it's work stopping me from playing as much but I want to soldier through it before I have no time at all.

I'll edit the list to take away the games I've completed or at least played to a point that it can wait. I do have a habit of starting from the beginning of series so Parasite Eve II would wait until I find the first one for example.

Edited the list. Down from 75 to 46 so not a bad idea I suppose. Also realised that the first Parasite Eve was never released in Europe so ignore me there, but apply it to something like the Tomb Raider series and Final Fantasy come to think of it.

Quote Neo Matrix edited at 02:48 PM (January 23rd, 2011) (Reason: Multi-Post)

Playing: WWE '13 (PS3), Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations (PS3), Spec Ops: The Line (PS3), Dance Central (Xbox360)

Old January 23rd, 2011, 06:11 PM   #4: [Thread] [Post]
Operative #19
Kept ya waiting, huh?

Journeyer Al Sighting 

Veteran Member
Premium Member

+2 vs. Chaotic Evil
As an avid MGS fan I feel it's my duty to tell you to play and finish MGS. It's not very long to begin with, but it's an awesome game. Do that.

Old January 23rd, 2011, 06:40 PM   #5: [Thread] [Post]
Neo Matrix

Premium Member
News Editor

Guitar Hero
As a gamer with very little skill (in my opinion - I might just be classed as average), how long do you think it would take me to finish it? I have Twin Snakes for the Gamecube which I hear is essentially the same game with some tweaks. Which would be better to play first?

I own the MGS 3 Subsistence package which has the original Metal Gear games which I'd be inclined to play before getting to Solid. That said, going through the entire Metal Gear series (which I own but haven't played) does look like a nice place to start. What would be your second and third choices?

Quote Neo Matrix edited at 06:44 PM (January 23rd, 2011)

Old January 23rd, 2011, 09:11 PM   #6: [Thread] [Post]
PsychoMantis
COP KNIFE

Steam Player Mod Mario 

Veteran Member
Ex-Moderator

Horadric Cube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Matrix
So here's the list I have of PS1 games, where would you start first? My first instinct was just to go through them in strict alphabetical order, but that would just be taking away from some of the fun, wouldn't it?
I don't know if that would be the best idea considering some of these games aren't that great. But here is some opinions on several of them (I didn't want to go through every game, the post would be too big. )
Quote:
6. Capcom vs SNK Pro
Capcom vs SNK Pro is a great game, but the Playstation version is definitely not the one to play. Preferably CvS2 on the Xbox is the best choice.
Quote:
7. Destruction Derby 2 (Although I'd probably replay the first game before it)
Why would you want to play the first one?
Quote:
11. Fear Effect
12. Fear Effect 2: Retro Helix
These games are actually very good, I would highly recommend them. Both of the stories love dem tweests.

Quote:
13. Fighting Force
Best when done with another person.
Quote:
20. G-Police
...don't play this.
Quote:
25. In Cold Blood
The story was pretty good, but the gameplay was lacking.
Quote:
26. Kensei Sacred Fist
Another bad PS1 fighting game, wouldn't recommend it.
Quote:
30. Oddworld Abe's Odyssee
I looooooove the Oddworld games. Mainly the first two. They just combined platforming and puzzles so well and the environments were awesome...I LOVE ME SOME ABE.
Quote:
32. Resident Evil (Didn't finish)
This would probably be funny to play just to hear the terrible dialogue/voice acting.
Quote:
35. Syphon Filter
36. Syphon Filter 2
37. Syphon Filter 3
I am a big fan of the (PS1) Syphon Filters, but the first one is the best one and probably the only one you should play.
Quote:
38. Tenchu: Stealth Assassins (Never finished)
39. Tenchu 2
Both games are really good and the first one had a great ending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Matrix View Post
As a gamer with very little skill (in my opinion - I might just be classed as average), how long do you think it would take me to finish it?
It really depends on the difficulty, on normal, your first time through may be 6-8 hours.
Quote:
I have Twin Snakes for the Gamecube which I hear is essentially the same game with some tweaks. Which would be better to play first?
MGS 1 on the PlayStation. I am one of those Twin Snake haters because of the over the top stupidity. Twin Snakes should only ever be played after you play the original first.
Quote:
I own the MGS 3 Subsistence package which has the original Metal Gear games which I'd be inclined to play before getting to Solid. That said, going through the entire Metal Gear series (which I own but haven't played) does look like a nice place to start. What would be your second and third choices?
It actually may be a good idea to play the MSX2 games first, although I doubt very many people have ever done that. It would certaintly help to better explain certain characters, i.e. Big Boss or Gray Fox.

Quote PsychoMantis edited at 09:16 PM (January 23rd, 2011)
  <3  

Old January 24th, 2011, 01:47 AM   #7: [Thread] [Post]
Neo Matrix

Premium Member
News Editor

Guitar Hero
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoMantis View Post
I don't know if that would be the best idea considering some of these games aren't that great. But here is some opinions on several of them (I didn't want to go through every game, the post would be too big. )
I wouldn't expect you to go through every game, especially if you saw the original list! As for the rest of your comments...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoMantis on Destruction Derby 2
Why would you want to play the first one?
I suppose I tend to want to start a series from the beginning, which is why I'd be likely to play Destruction Derby again before tackling the second one, because it's been that long since I played it and I only really did the race-only league before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoMantis on Fear Effect series
These games are actually very good, I would highly recommend them. Both of the stories love dem tweests.
Noted and put on priority for later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoMantis on Fighting Force
Best when done with another person.
Is that the same with the second one when I'd get round to it on Dreamcast? I only ever played it single player so assumed the first one was the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoMantis on G-Police
...don't play this.
How come? I met the guy who created it a few years back who told me about one specific error and the story behind it, but other than that? I remember liking the demo way back when.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoMantis on Oddworld: Abe's Odyssee
I looooooove the Oddworld games. Mainly the first two. They just combined platforming and puzzles so well and the environments were awesome...I LOVE ME SOME ABE.
Which system was Abe's Exodus on? I think I've got Munch's Odyssee somewhere around on Xbox though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoMantis on Resident Evil
This would probably be funny to play just to hear the terrible dialogue/voice acting.
This would be one of the biggest "own but haven't played" series I have. I even have the Gamecube versions of 0, 1, 2 and 4, Dreamcast version of 2 and 3 and PS2 version of Code Veronica X... no point buying 5 when I have to get through those first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoMantis on Syphon Filter
I am a big fan of the (PS1) Syphon Filters, but the first one is the best one and probably the only one you should play.
I heard the first one was good and ended up getting the whole series, even found the PSP games to play afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoMantis on Tenchu
Both games are really good and the first one had a great ending.
I enjoyed the first one but exams got in the way. Since ninjas own your soul I had to get the rest of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoMantis on Metal Gear
It really depends on the difficulty, on normal, your first time through may be 6-8 hours. It actually may be a good idea to play the MSX2 games first, although I doubt very many people have ever done that. It would certaintly help to better explain certain characters, i.e. Big Boss or Gray Fox.
I'd definitely be using default difficulty, I just hope I don't miss any of the Easter Eggs I hear are in the games. Going for this series would mean both Metal Gear games, Solid 1 (with Special Missions), 2, 3 and 4 and Portable Ops on the side... worth it as the first one? Or would you say another series out of the ones you mentioned should go first?

Old January 24th, 2011, 10:39 AM   #8: [Thread] [Post]
PsychoMantis
COP KNIFE

Steam Player Mod Mario 

Veteran Member
Ex-Moderator

Horadric Cube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Matrix; Fighting Force
Is that the same with the second one when I'd get round to it on Dreamcast? I only ever played it single player so assumed the first one was the same.
Yeah pretty much. Neither of the games are very well regarded, the second in particular got terrible reviews. It really comes down to how much you enjoy beat-em-ups, which I do, but only with another person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Matrix; G-Police/X-Files
How come? I met the guy who created it a few years back who told me about one specific error and the story behind it, but other than that? I remember liking the demo way back when.
Whoops, I was actually referring to The X-Files. Not sure how I got the quote up there...

I actually quite enjoyed G-Police, I never played the second one though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Matrix; Oddworld
Which system was Abe's Exodus on? I think I've got Munch's Odyssee somewhere around on Xbox though.
Abe's Exoddus is on the PS1 too. Oddworld: Munch's Odyssey is also a good game, but it seems to me that it would only appeal to Oddworld fans, also the emulation for it on the 360 is fairly poor so playing on an original xbox is preferred. Even more unfortunate is the fact the the recently released ports of Munch's Oddysse and Stranger's Wrath on the PC are terrible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Matrix; Resident Evil
This would be one of the biggest "own but haven't played" series I have. I even have the Gamecube versions of 0, 1, 2 and 4, Dreamcast version of 2 and 3 and PS2 version of Code Veronica X... no point buying 5 when I have to get through those first.
You have all the good RE games from the looks of it and if you have the Gamecube versions of the PS1 games then play those. RE1 on the Gamecube was a fantastic game, but RE2 was just a straight port of the PS1 version which is kind of a shame, but the textures are "slightly" better. 0 is great, Veronica is great, 4 is great, so I would suggest playing all of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Matrix; Metal Gear
I'd definitely be using default difficulty, I just hope I don't miss any of the Easter Eggs I hear are in the games.
You will probably see a fair amount by just playing through them normally, but in MGS1 once you get the camera, start taking pictures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Matrix; Metal Gear
Going for this series would mean both Metal Gear games, Solid 1 (with Special Missions), 2, 3 and 4 and Portable Ops on the side... worth it as the first one? Or would you say another series out of the ones you mentioned should go first?
I don't think VR missions (Special Missions) is all that necessary unless you want to play a bunch of the VR training missions. Although some of them are really interesting, especially the "Mystery" ones.

I'm not sure what you mean by "worth it as the first one"

As for playing the Metal Gear games or Solid games first, that is really up to you. You could just as easily read a synopsis online and like I said very few people actually played the Metal Gear games before going into Solid and even more people probably only ever played them with the release of MGS 3: Subsistence. If you do plan on playing Portable Ops do so after MGS3. aaand if you are going to play MGS3 you may want to try Subsistence first to see if you like the new camera style.

Quote PsychoMantis edited at 10:42 AM (January 24th, 2011)
  <3  

Old January 24th, 2011, 02:55 PM   #9: [Thread] [Post]
Neo Matrix

Premium Member
News Editor

Guitar Hero
"Worth it as the first one" meaning the first game (or series) that I try to get through...

Old February 12th, 2012, 02:44 AM   #10: [Thread] [Post]
Klowny
flOwer
Christmas in July! Journeyer GameWinners Year End Award Winner EPIC POST! Wonder Week! 

Super Moderator
Veteran Member
Premium Member

[Epic Reputation]
My aversion to RPGs may well be directly attributable to the Parasite Eve games.

Dino Crisis is a good game.

Fear Effect was ahead of its time and quite entertaining.

The 2 PSX Oddworld games rule! I'm thinking of downloading them to my PS3.

Any and all Resident Evil games are worth replaying.

Tomb Raider, Tomb Raider, Tomb Raider.

Did I mention Tomb Raider?

e. It's not on your list, so I highly recommend looking for a copy of Soul Reaver, one of the best games ever.

Quote Klowny edited at 02:44 AM (February 12th, 2012) (Reason: Multi-Post)

Old February 12th, 2012, 04:41 AM   #11: [Thread] [Post]
Crazy Jamie
First recipient of the Amaloo Award

GameWinners Year End Award Winner EPIC POST! Steam Player Resident Weasel Amaloo Prize 

Super Moderator
Premium Member

M-M-M-Monster Kill!
I'll throw another vote in for Syphon Filter. I remember playing a demo of it in the US and being blown away by it. The first is my favourite in the series as well, I actually didn't finish the second or third.

The Fear Effect games are also a good shout. I didn't get around to playing them properly myself, but the quality was clear. I've been meaning to play them at some point as well.

Heart of Darkness is often forgotten, but is actually a decent little platformer from what I remember.

"Mind if I use your phone? If word gets out that I'm missing five hundred girls will kill themselves."

Old March 13th, 2012, 12:20 PM   #12: [Thread] [Post]
lufia
NES guru and resident genious

Decade Award 

Veteran Member

Press Start
I have played the Syphon Filter games too. I like the second one the best.

Heres what I have right now.

Warhammer: Dark Omen
Ogrebattle
Driver
Twisted Metal
Twisted Metal III
Star Ocean
Final Fantasy Tactics
Harvest Moon: Back to Nature
Vampire Hunter D
Juggernaut
Wu Tang:Shaolin Style
a bunch of wrestling games

I have a lot more, I just cant remember the rest right now.
  "Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery.

None but ourselves can free our minds."

-Bob Marley
"Redemption Songs"

Post New Thread Reply

GameWinners.com Forums > Consoles & Technology > Past Generations > Past Generations > PlayStation