The web's largest cheats, codes, and game help site  
CHEATS | NEWS | FORUMS | REVIEWS | VIDEOS | SEARCH 

Go Back   GameWinners.com Forums > Consoles & Technology > Console Combat

Post New Thread Reply    

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 13th, 2011, 05:04 PM   #31: [Thread] [Post]
Rabid
NEED MOAR DEE-PEE-ESS

Vault Dweller Wasteland Survivor Forums Traveler Friend O' Klowny Lose the Loose! 

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Horadric Cube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffy Ghost View Post
Same thing they were thinking with the Wii. The lower price point is going to attract consumers, and now that they have 85 million people with Wii's in their homes, it's not an outrageous idea that branding their new console as an upgraded Wii will sell units.
Depends on if they have a "Wii bowling" type killer app. I'm sure Bowling alone sold a few million of those consoles.

Quote:
Even so, the graphical leap isn't going to be much to start a circle jerk over. The best looking PC games to date, really only look marginally better than console counterparts. What matters is performance, will Sony's and Microsoft's machines boast better load times? Will their hardware be as reliable? Who knows?
Agreed. Sony/Microsoft should push for better performance. If all the titles released on their next gen consoles could run at 60fps and look even marginally better than they do now, I think that would even make a few PC gamers take a serious look at their console. Frame rate is what the hard core PC guys are still bragging about, right?

Quote:
The Virtual Boy was pretty terrible, I still have one in it's original box, but I'll never ever, ever, ever, ever play it, that's for sure. Comparing the Wii U to the Virtual Boy isn't exactly fair though, since the Wii U isn't going to be blinding us with red "3D" images, and the Wii U actually has an interesting concept in not needing a TV to play it's games.
They already have a console that can play games without a TV, its called the Nintendo 3DS. If people buy a Wii U just because it has a tablet controller and can play games without a TV, they need to be institutionalized.

Mankind's true moral test,
is fundamental test
which lies deeply buried from view,
consists of its attitude towards those who are at its mercy.
And in this respect mankind has suffered a fundamental debacle,
a debacle so fundamental that all others stem from it.

Old December 13th, 2011, 05:25 PM   #32: [Thread] [Post]
Puffy Ghost

Grammar Nazi 

Horadric Cube
Quote:
Frame rate is what the hard core PC guys are still bragging about, right?
Well that, and better textures, anti aliasing options, not to mention the freedom of using OpenGL.

But in any case, I'd rather the next gen consoles gear towards performance over everything else. Sitting around waiting for Skyrim to load is the bane of my existence right now.

Old December 13th, 2011, 09:34 PM   #33: [Thread] [Post]
Ron.
Rockin' the Penguin

Veteran Member

Horadric Cube
Quote:
Sitting around waiting for Skyrim to load is the bane of my existence right now.
That has to do with RAM restrictions and the HDDs
  \  

Old December 17th, 2011, 06:55 PM   #34: [Thread] [Post]
The_Game_Master
Veteran Member

Veteran Member

Horadric Cube
Not bad for the CPU but the RAM is still lacking next gen console wise.

Am sure the PS4 and Xbox 720 will have at least 1.5GB or 2 GB of RAM.
  Donate your daughter's organs to the Aperture Science Enrichment Center, you won't regret it.  

Old December 17th, 2011, 07:15 PM   #35: [Thread] [Post]
Mr. DNA
Going: moist to tricky

Veteran Member
Premium Member

+2 vs. Chaotic Evil
Given that many top PC games require far more than 1.5 to 2.0 GB of RAM to function at their highest settings, wouldn't such an amount in the next gen of consoles be rather low? If RAM is so cheap these days, why don't they just whack in 8 GB, or something similarly large, in anticipation of the need for more and more RAM in the years to come?

DEVO

Darling I'm dazzled but you know I'm too frazzled

Old December 17th, 2011, 07:32 PM   #36: [Thread] [Post]
Darth-gamer
Open Water Diver. Blub Blub.

Soldier of Fortune Trophy Forums Traveler 

Veteran Member
Premium Member

+2 vs. Chaotic Evil
I can get 16GB of SO-DIMM for under 100 today. Screwing the next consoles over on RAM in any way is a joke.

Old December 17th, 2011, 07:43 PM   #37: [Thread] [Post]
The_Game_Master
Veteran Member

Veteran Member

Horadric Cube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. DNA View Post
Given that many top PC games require far more than 1.5 to 2.0 GB of RAM to function at their highest settings, wouldn't such an amount in the next gen of consoles be rather low? If RAM is so cheap these days, why don't they just whack in 8 GB, or something similarly large, in anticipation of the need for more and more RAM in the years to come?
Well the operating system itself also uses up some of that RAM for PC games. Consoles have a very simple optimized OS so it can concentrate on the game.

Consoles have a budget of about $500 but if its anything like Nintendo's past consoles then it will definitely be selling at around the budget $200-300 price. So the key hardware parts that need to be concentrated on will have to be the CPU or GPU. Those two parts will definitely take a little more than half the console cost.
  Donate your daughter's organs to the Aperture Science Enrichment Center, you won't regret it.  

Old December 17th, 2011, 08:44 PM   #38: [Thread] [Post]
Mr. DNA
Going: moist to tricky

Veteran Member
Premium Member

+2 vs. Chaotic Evil
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Game_Master View Post
Well the operating system itself also uses up some of that RAM for PC games. Consoles have a very simple optimized OS so it can concentrate on the game.

Consoles have a budget of about $500 but if its anything like Nintendo's past consoles then it will definitely be selling at around the budget $200-300 price. So the key hardware parts that need to be concentrated on will have to be the CPU or GPU. Those two parts will definitely take a little more than half the console cost.
I didn't consider the lack of OS RAM requirements for consoles. The lower RAM makes more sense now.

Talking about next-gen systems, how powerful are they likely to be? When Microsoft and Sony's next consoles come out will they be as powerful as today's top-of-the-line PCs?

DEVO

Darling I'm dazzled but you know I'm too frazzled

Old December 17th, 2011, 08:49 PM   #39: [Thread] [Post]
Puffy Ghost

Grammar Nazi 

Horadric Cube
Quote:
Given that many top PC games require far more than 1.5 to 2.0 GB of RAM to function at their highest settings, wouldn't such an amount in the next gen of consoles be rather low?
Most games required more than half a gig to run at optimum settings when the 360 launched. So I wouldn't really put it past MS and Sony to short their consoles on RAM again to save a few bucks. I think anything under 2gb would be criminal though.

Quote:
When Microsoft and Sony's next consoles come out will they be as powerful as today's top-of-the-line PCs?
I seriously doubt it, but they'll be close (for about 6 months.)

Quote Puffy Ghost edited at 08:49 PM (December 17th, 2011) (Reason: Multi-Post)

Old December 18th, 2011, 08:34 AM   #40: [Thread] [Post]
puertorock_papi
Semper Fi

From the Grave 

Veteran Member

Horadric Cube
Some of you fail to realize the type of RAM that is used in consoles are not the same we buy and upgrade our PC. We use DDR memory to upgrade our PC. 360 has GDDR3 unified while PS3 uses GDDR3 and XDR. These are memory that videocards uses.

So when we are talking memory we are not talking about this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148421

where you can get 8GB of DDR3 for $50. You need to think GDDR4 or 5 and XDR2.

IMO Sony should go with XDR2. It's completely outperforms GDDR5. I would say the same for the next Xbox but I'm going to assume MS will use ATI for their GPU and they will want MS to use GDDR5 since it's their technology.
  "If it becomes too popular, we just cannot produce enough consoles. [laughs]
- Shigeru Miyamoto (asked what was his greatest system concern for Gamecube at E3 2001)"

Old December 18th, 2011, 09:03 AM   #41: [Thread] [Post]
Neo Matrix
Doesn't get the point of PIMI

My Way Al Sighting Forums Traveler Post Potentate SMod Mario 

Premium Member
News Editor

Guitar Hero
For comparison, how much of those types of RAM would $50 get you?

YOU for posting ALL THE THINGS!!!
How else are we going to get some more activity around here?

油断せずに行って、昨日の自分より強くなりなさい。平成25年6月19日
Playing: WWE '13 (PS3), Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations (PS3), Spec Ops: The Line (PS3), Dance Central (Xbox360)
Current Anime: Naruto Shippuden, Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's.
Now Playing... in New Forums: Under Construction... again

Old December 18th, 2011, 09:38 AM   #42: [Thread] [Post]
Rabid
NEED MOAR DEE-PEE-ESS

Vault Dweller Wasteland Survivor Forums Traveler Friend O' Klowny Lose the Loose! 

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Horadric Cube
It looks like you can get videocards with 1gb GDDR5 for about 80 dollars. So I would imagine you could get about 2gb GDDR5 50-ish dollars. Couldn't find anything on XDR2 in less than 5 minutes so I gave up.

Mankind's true moral test,
is fundamental test
which lies deeply buried from view,
consists of its attitude towards those who are at its mercy.
And in this respect mankind has suffered a fundamental debacle,
a debacle so fundamental that all others stem from it.

Old January 9th, 2012, 09:49 AM   #43: [Thread] [Post]
DeathscytheV

Press Start
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid View Post
It looks like you can get videocards with 1gb GDDR5 for about 80 dollars. So I would imagine you could get about 2gb GDDR5 50-ish dollars. Couldn't find anything on XDR2 in less than 5 minutes so I gave up.
But multiply that by how many they are going to manufacture (Unless it flops anywhere from 10-80 million) and shaving that 50 dollars could be what makes it o r breaks even for it.

Post New Thread Reply

GameWinners.com Forums > Consoles & Technology > Console Combat