PDA

View Full Version : FF9

Elaine Benes
March 31st, 2008, 08:40 PM
Ok, I'm pretty much done with this game: I'm already in Disc 4 and already got to the final battle part but I backtracked to do some training/side quests and have a few questions.

1- I read that the Omega Weapon is to be found somewhere in Memoria. Where exactly? I can't seem to be able to find her.

2- I already found all the treasure chests in the Hot & Cold sidequest. Still, I headed to the paradise (where the fat chocobo is) and got nothing... I was hoping I'd get at least an 'atta boy'. :mad:

3- Is it just me or the card game is incredibly confusing and sucks? I mean, compared to FF8's Triple Triad (I spent countless hours playing it), this mini-game is terrible.

4- At the Mognet central, it would seem that I have to deliver some sort of item to one of the moogles. If so, where can I find it?

5- Are there any other super bosses (besides Omega) that I can fight? Where?

Finally, I'd like to point out (like many of you said I would) that I really enjoyed going through this game.

Miles
March 31st, 2008, 10:13 PM
1. There is no "Omega Weapon", but there is an "Ultima Wepaon". (Zidane's best weapon and the second strongest weapon in the game.) You can find it by using a Dead Pepper exactly the middle of where the Shimmering Islands used to be.

2. Once you've found all the chocobo treasures, including the secret ones you need dead peppers to obtain, I believe he'll give you another side quest, to visit every shore. The Chocobo to the left of the fat one also gives you 99 Dead Peppers if you talk to him.

3. I never really understood it... I just picked my best 5 cards and played.

4. When you start the sidequest, the moogle should give you a letter to deliver to someone, once you've eventually delivered all the letters to all the moggles, the final moogle will give you the item you're looking for.

5. There is no "Omega" in FFIX, there is "Ozma", who can be found at the back of the Chocobo Air Garden, then there's "Hades", who can be found in the area of Memoria that Quina tries to swim in when you first go there. He's behind some rocks, just walk around mashing "confirm" and you'll eventually find him, the other "Super-Boss" is Quan, which you'll need to eat 100 (?) frogs with Quina to fight.

Tom Hagen
March 31st, 2008, 11:45 PM
Qaun isnt really super...... He was kinda easy

Ziyi
April 1st, 2008, 06:26 AM
indeed i thoughthe was super strong but i he easliy beaten

about the card game an easy way at the edges you see an arrow for example if see aqn arrow ^ at the edge then just a place a card in a position were there arent any arrows then you automaticily wil get the card but your opponment can do this too

ozma is real strong but its possible to beat him curse is bad can give you status effects

Victoria
April 1st, 2008, 12:55 PM
The card game was, indeed, terrible. However I still managed to get roughly 80 cards in one of my games. That's the most I've ever got, I think.

King Of Dragons
April 27th, 2008, 06:11 AM
Hmm... since where did you get the idea of 'omega'?

Lacarus
April 27th, 2008, 12:13 PM
1. Miles got that covered.

2. In addition to Miles' answer, the chocobo will refill your stock of Dead Peppers every time you talk to him. But I haven't heard of the side-quest he mentions.

3. The first digit indicates the attack power of the card, the second letter tell what type it is (m for magic, p for pfysical, x for special), the third and fourth digit indicates the defence power against m and p (I can't remember which is which). Also, the cards seems to level up or degrade sometimes after a card battle, but I don't know much about it. I still think it's confusing, but at least I know how to play it.

4. He got this one too.

5. As for Quan, it's 99 frogs.

m4tt
April 27th, 2008, 12:58 PM
3- Is it just me or the card game is incredibly confusing and sucks? I mean, compared to FF8's Triple Triad (I spent countless hours playing it), this mini-game is terrible.
It gets easier when you understand what's going on.

Each card has four values. The first can be anything from 0-F and represents the card's attack. The third and fourth values can be anything from 0-F and represent the physical and magical defence values of the card. The second value can be P, M, X or A. This represents the type of attack the card possesses. P means the attack value is compared to the opponent's Physical Defence. M means the attack value is compared to the opponent's Magical Defence. X means the attack value is compared to Physical Defence or Magical Defence, whichever is lower. A means the attack value is compared to the lowest value on the opposing card, be it attack or defence.

Each card stat has a range, shown below.

0 - 0-15
1 - 16-31
2 - 32-47
3 - 48-63
4 - 64-79
5 - 80-95
6 - 96-111
7 - 112-127
8 - 128-143
9 - 144-159
A - 160-175
B - 176-191
C - 192-207
D - 208-223
E - 224-239
F - 240-255

These are used to decide the outcome of a card battle (when two opposing arrows meet). A card battle plays out like this.

Stage 1: A random number in the range is selected.
Stage 2: Another random number between 0 and the number selected above is chosen. This is the 'actual' attack/defence value.
Stage 3: The number selected in stage 2 is subtracted from the number selected in stage 1.

All three stages are performed for both the attacking card and the opposing defence value. Whichever has the highest value at the end of stage 3 wins the battle.

Example:

Attacking card: 7P23
Defending card: 1P02

Attacking card's Stage one: Range is 112-127. 120 is selected.
Defending card's Stage one: Range is 0-15. 11 is selected.

Attacking card's Stage two: Range is 0-120. 116 is selected.
Defending card's Stage two: Range is 0-11. 3 is selected.

Attacking card's Stage three: 120 - 116 = 4.
Defending card's Stage three: 11 - 3 = 8.

Verdict: 8 is greater than 4, so the defending card is the victor and is not flipped.

KADFC
April 27th, 2008, 01:23 PM
1 - There is no Omega Weapon in this game. There is a Ultima Weapon, but that's not a boss, it's Zidane's ultimate weapon. The only other optional hard boss, would be "Hades", which is found in the room before you face Kraken (the water boss).

2- By all, I hope you mean all 3 parts.
Part A - All the chocographs, all twenty some chocographs that can be activated and dugged up
Part B - Bubble spots and mountain cracks that's someone obvious, but can only be obtained by using Dead Peppers
Part C - If you have indeed done A and B, talk to the Fat Chocobo again. Like Miles mentioned, it's all about the shores. Go to each shore, but you must be on Choco. Then press 'square' to get a special ring. Once you've done all of them, talk to the FC again. Now, while riding on Choco, everytime you press "square" on a shore, your party's HP/MP will be fully restored and all bad status will be removed.

3 - Personally, I did know the mechanics behind it, but sooner or later, it didn't really matter to me anymore so I just forgot about it. The card game itself doesn't offer any reward at all. The only thing it's good for is the Treno Tournment. Then, I consider there to be 2 other levels. First, is to obtain 1 of every card, which I've done. Second, which I haven't done, is max out their stats.

Every time you win a game with one of these card, they get hidden exp. So sooner, they'll level up. To sum it up, there's a phsical part and a magic part, however when two cards battle, they generate a random number based on it's maxed level and from 1 or 0. So in other words, it's possible for a high leveled card to lose to a low level starter card. Even the chances are low, it's possible.

4- At the Mognet central, it would seem that I have to deliver some sort of item to one of the moogles. If so, where can I find it?

4 - You basically have to remember certain names of moogles, or at least their location so that you can give it to them. I'll give a list, not by their names, but by their locations. We first start off with Alexandria.

Alexandria
Burmecia
Black Mage Village
Ispen's Castle
Fossil Roo
Daguerreo
Then back to Alexandria.
After that, I hope you can figure out the final step yourself.

Ozma it the ultimate boss in this game. In order to get to him, assuming that you've already done the chocobo hot and cold, like you said, then head for the Chocobo Air Garden. Instead of playing the game, just jump off of Choco and do some person walking exploring. Look at the northern part of the map to see a cave/mountain structure. When you're ready, go talk to it. The moogle would warn you, so do be prepared.

Angel Snack makes a difference, since it removes all bad statuses. Levels do not matter for this battle, only strategy does, as well as prepartion. Anyone that saids they need at least a certain level to face Ozma doesn't know much about how this battle works. 50% is based on luck, no matter how you look at it.

Unless of course, you decided to max out all your possibilities to win this battle, aka Friendly Monster Quest, the four 9999 dealers, maxed level, maxed phoenix pinions, shadow absorbers, etc...

Finally, I'd like to point out (like many of you said I would) that I really enjoyed going through this game.

Lacarus
April 27th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Part C - If you have indeed done A and B, talk to the Fat Chocobo again. Like Miles mentioned, it's all about the shores. Go to each shore, but you must be on Choco. Then press 'square' to get a special ring. Once you've done all of them, talk to the FC again. Now, while riding on Choco, everytime you press "square" on a shore, your party's HP/MP will be fully restored and all bad status will be removed.

Nice there's one little thing I haven't done yet.

King Of Dragons
May 3rd, 2008, 06:24 AM
Wow! Just one question, if i get the ring, should it be equiped or should i just leave it there? And what are bubble spots?

Lacarus
May 3rd, 2008, 07:11 AM

Hmm, I just did all this but all Zidane says when pressing square is"I think I'll walk for a while". Am I too far in the game? I'm on disc 4.

cloudstrife24
May 3rd, 2008, 01:14 PM
Ok, I'm pretty much done with this game: I'm already in Disc 4 and already got to the final battle part but I backtracked to do some training/side quests and have a few questions.

1- I read that the Omega Weapon is to be found somewhere in Memoria. Where exactly? I can't seem to be able to find her.

2- I already found all the treasure chests in the Hot & Cold sidequest. Still, I headed to the paradise (where the fat chocobo is) and got nothing... I was hoping I'd get at least an 'atta boy'. :mad:

well if ur looking for stronger bosses to fight other than osma is hades in memoria if u beat him he can make u the best stuff in the game like the save the queen sword which is one of things u need to get the good ending, if u have trouble with either osma or hades give ur characters something to absorb shadow magic and it will be easy.

Miles
May 3rd, 2008, 11:18 PM
You don't need the Save the Queen to view the extra scene, you need Cinna's Hammer, which I believe is the final reward from the Stellazio quest. The Save the Queen AFAIK, is useless.

Hades does however Synth some of the best equipment in the game after you defeat him.

King Of Dragons
May 8th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Extra scene?

Lacarus
May 8th, 2008, 12:00 PM
In the play in the end, Zidane will say something about how neither Cloud nor Squall will be able to stop him.

delt_ZX_246
May 8th, 2008, 02:18 PM
If that's the case, I saw the ending a few nights ago without the Hammer.

cloudstrife24
May 9th, 2008, 07:53 PM
well i guess im confused cause i beat it with the save to queen and got one ending, then i beat it with the hammer and got another, then i beat it with both and got another different ending.

Lacarus
May 11th, 2008, 11:09 AM
I did the same. No difference with both.

m4tt
May 11th, 2008, 11:51 AM
In the play in the end, Zidane will say something about how neither Cloud nor Squall will be able to stop him.
That part is always in the ending. The extra scene is where Baku kills Blank, and you'll see that if you have the Hammer in your inventory. Having the Save The Queen does nothing.

cloudstrife24
May 11th, 2008, 08:32 PM
That part is always in the ending. The extra scene is where Baku kills Blank, and you'll see that if you have the Hammer in your inventory. Having the Save The Queen does nothing.
oh ok has anyone played the blackjack card game after you beat the game

Lacarus
May 12th, 2008, 06:00 AM
Yup. Boooriiing. It's just black jack. I've got friends for that.

cloudstrife24
May 12th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Yup. Boooriiing. It's just black jack. I've got friends for that.
i didnt know if you get anything from doing it or not i only played a couple games of it till i got bored

Lacarus
May 13th, 2008, 11:37 AM
It only appears after the game if you have a certain item or meet certain conditions. And since it's after the "The End" screen, you won't receive any items.

m4tt
May 13th, 2008, 02:31 PM
You don't need a specific item or to have met any special requirements. All you need is to input the code on The End screen. I'm sure I've played it before, but don't remember much about it.

Lacarus
May 13th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Right that's it. I think I played the first time I completed the game, which is several years ago. Something about monsters on the face cards. I think one of the kings is a wraith.