PDA

View Full Version : Oblivion: Where to get lockpicks

cloudpants
March 29th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Since I got yelled at for asking where lockpicks are and it seems to be a fairly common question, I just compiled the info here. Stick this if necessary, I guess.

Shady Sam
Go to the Chestnut Handy Stables outside of the Imperial City and face the city's entrance. Walk up close to the wall and begin walking along it to the left. Shady Sam is dressed in all black and standing against the wall. He sells lockpicks and a bunch of different potions.

Ongar
Ongar is your first fence in the Thieves Guild and located in Bruma. At night he is in Olav's Tap and Tack, and he can also be found in his home which is behind the temple. He has 100 lockpicks for 6gp each.

Dark Brotherhood
The Dark Brotherhood has a safehouse in the basement of an abandoned house in Cheydinhal. A Khajit in the training room has 30 lockpicks for 10gp (?) each.

Thieves Guild
The leader (?) of the Thieves Guild is located in the Imperial Waterfront and has 100 lockpicks for 5gp each, but you can only buy them if you are not in the Guild. If you do join up, you can still get the lockpicks by pickpocketing him, getting thrown out of the guild, and then paying 200gp to rejoin.

Skeleton Key
You recieve the Skeleton Key as a reward for completing the Shrine of Nocturnal (http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Nocturnal) quest. It is unbreakable and gives you a 40 point security bonus.

liveandlearn13
April 5th, 2006, 01:03 PM
for the skeleton key, the link there does not show the map it says the bandwith is too high. could you possibly tell us where the location of the shrine is near?

Đightmare
April 5th, 2006, 03:22 PM
for the skeleton key, the link there does not show the map it says the bandwith is too high. could you possibly tell us where the location of the shrine is near?

You should have checked back later.

* You need to be at least level 10 to start this quest.

* When you approach the Shrine, you will be asked to recover the Eye of Nocturnal from a pair of thieves that are hiding out in Leyawin.

* After talking to people in town (use Rumors) you discover the thieves are a pair of Argonians living in town. A brief discussion with the thieves themselves will net you a quest message, asking you to eavesdrop on the pair to discover the location of the Eye. I tried sneaking around the house (it's pretty small), but finally had to leave and come back before they'd start talking.

* Anyway, they reveal the Eye is in a cave to the far South, and an appropriate map marker appears. This cave as actually a little tough; it's heavily populated with a tough breed of troll; the eye is pretty easy to find. Take a left at the first intersection, than another when that path dead ins, and then one more. The eye is underwater, behind a chest, but is so large and glowing its hard to miss.

* Return the eye to the shrine, and Nocturnal will give you the skeleton key. It's an unbreakable and ever-lasting lock pick that boosts your security by 40 by having it in your inventory.

♣Poke My Bunny♣
April 5th, 2006, 05:35 PM
You should have checked back later.

Just a note:

That site frequently experiences low bandwidth due to the great number of users visiting it. If this happens to you, check back in a few minutes.

Quagmire
April 14th, 2006, 09:30 PM
On the skelton key, i heard that u dont gain exp when using it. is that true?

Flame
April 14th, 2006, 09:46 PM
No, it is not. Your skill goes up just the same.

Quagmire
April 15th, 2006, 11:34 AM
thanks

jgc04b
April 15th, 2006, 03:32 PM
where is the shrine of nocturnal? the quest u need to get the skeleton key

Đightmare
April 15th, 2006, 04:40 PM
where is the shrine of nocturnal? the quest u need to get the skeleton key

It's north of Leyawin. Follow the road from the city and it will show up on your map eventually.

BlAcK_ObLiViOn
April 21st, 2006, 07:09 PM
im an expert in security so i really dont buy that many....i buy 100 of em from a fence and they last a lifetime

LordOfTheLamp
May 8th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Just get the skeleton key. It's and easy quest and rewards you with the key,which in my opinion is one of the best daedric items

Flame
May 8th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Just get the skeleton key. It's and easy quest and rewards you with the key,which in my opinion is one of the best daedric items
Read the first post. The skeleton key is listed. Caution for SPAM.

737ngn737
May 28th, 2006, 04:37 AM
So if I get an skeleton key.... i never need lockpicks again?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

nebukeneza
May 28th, 2006, 06:11 AM
nope, it never breaks

Tom C
July 12th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Orrin in castle anvil once he becomes a fence for you, has 100 lockpics for sale, and also once the theives guild quest is complete there a few lockpics in the locked door in the theives hall

Not2MessWith
July 25th, 2006, 01:57 PM
im done with most of the game and im just curious if theres a pattern to lockpicking. Does the pattern get more distinct after your skills get more advanced?

pooface254
August 11th, 2006, 01:00 AM
once yur lvl 10 just go north of leyawin to the east road until u reach nocturnals shrine then just do the quest and boom u hav unbreakable lockpick!!!:D

i think there actually is a pattern for yur lvl
cause once i was like lvl 1 and 2 it was slow the first try

then i was like lvl 30 then it was fast then slow then fast and fast then slow again!!!so yea i think there is a pattern,if not then its just random but im pretty sure it a pattern

Climhazzard
August 11th, 2006, 01:03 AM
The key to lockpicking is to hit the pin, let it come down, and keep doing that, to get the timing down. Once the pin goes up and down right away, the next time you hit it, it should be slow, so you can pick the pin. Do that on every one, rather than guessing and breaking several lockpicks. Just tap, tap, tap, keep tapping, then youll see a very quick up down pin movement, like it didnt even stop, the next one should be a slower moving pin. Thats how i pick locks anyway.

Hangover_boy
October 9th, 2006, 01:06 PM
With the skeleton key, can you use the auto-unlock, or do you have to do it manually?

I'll probably be getting the key today...running into so many "average" chests is starting to make me mad :bashhead:

Đightmare
October 9th, 2006, 01:07 PM
With the skeleton key, can you use the auto-unlock, or do you have to do it manually?

You can use either one, but you may as well use the auto feature. With the Skeleton key you won't break any locks so you won't lose anything by hitting auto attempt over and over.

Zyck
November 3rd, 2006, 02:17 AM
where do u get the quest to get the skeletonkey, and where is the shrine of nocturnal?

where do u get the quest to get the skeletonkey, and where is the shrine of nocturnal?
and is it in the morrowind version?

Flame
November 3rd, 2006, 03:47 AM
No, the Skeleton Key they are referring to is only in Oblivion. There is a skeleton key in Morrowind, which you get at the end of the Thieves' Guild quests, but it only has twenty-five uses before disappearing.

Menace408
December 28th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Who do I talk to to get the quest for the skeleton key?

Đightmare
December 28th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Who do I talk to to get the quest for the skeleton key?

You talk to the Shrine of Nocturnal. All the information is listed in the link in the first post.

Fierdark
January 3rd, 2007, 03:13 PM
If you never finish the first part of the thievs guild you can by them from chirstopher for 5 gp thats what i do untill i get to level 10 then I wil get the skelton key.

CHAN DRAGO12
January 4th, 2007, 01:55 PM
It sounds as of if this skeleton key is a great item to rogues.

Deathmore
March 3rd, 2007, 08:06 PM
I have a quick question, i have roughly 70 security, so when i have the key in my inventory, it is about 110, it is also not just fortified, it makes my base security 110, i know this because when i pick it up, i become a master in security. however, my problem is, i picked security as a major skill (i dont know why, either) so i cannot level it up with the key in my possesion right? because it makes my base security master level, right? :confused:

Mrmakee
March 3rd, 2007, 10:26 PM
I have a quick question, i have roughly 70 security, so when i have the key in my inventory, it is about 110, it is also not just fortified, it makes my base security 110, i know this because when i pick it up, i become a master in security. however, my problem is, i picked security as a major skill (i dont know why, either) so i cannot level it up with the key in my possesion right? because it makes my base security master level, right? :confused:
Right you can't get it up any more. What you can do is just drop it. It is possible if anyone is thinking you can't.

SocialMutation
March 4th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Yeah, if you want to increase your security more, just drop it somewhere. But to be safe put it in a chest in your house or something like that. If you just drop it on the ground theres a chance it will fall through the floor for some reason, also it's so small it'll be hard to find.

Deathmore
March 4th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Thanks, I'll put it in a display case or something.

Acdrummer
December 5th, 2007, 10:29 PM
I heard that if you join the thieves guild, and pickpocket the leader he will just say "Go ahead i don't need them anyway" or something like that. Is that true?

Đightmare
December 5th, 2007, 10:53 PM
No. If you steal from another Thieves Guild member you are expelled from the guild.

Mrmakee
December 5th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Before you join the guild if you steal from him he does nothing. ONLY before you join. If you steal from a fellow member of the guild while you're in it you get expelled.

Acdrummer
December 6th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Ok

supergamefreak9
January 22nd, 2008, 09:00 PM
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") WORLD DOMINATION!

Secret Sheik
January 23rd, 2008, 05:04 PM
Guess what, you get a warning. You posted utter and complete spam. Normally I don't care about bumping stuck topics, but I do when spam is involved! Read the rules more carefully.